No option for Gas supplier switch

Options
Just off the ‘chat’ with SSE energy - was recommended to switch to them from Firmus to save me some money on my gas bill. I had clicked the Uswitch link and searched the SSE site for the ‘simple online link’ to start my switch. After searching everywhere, and not finding it I resorted to a chat. Tammy kindly informed me that SSE aren’t taking on new customers. Is that legal? So I basically have no other choice but to stay with firmus (no other supplier in Northern Ireland). And why are they trying their best online to look like they are taking on customers?

Comments

• MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hi, I've been reading online that if you telephone energy companies and speak to an actual person there's a possibility that a switch can be arranged - many companies aren't using the online links. Why, I'm not sure.

There's a phone number here - https://www.airtricitygasni.com/contact-us/     Worth a try?

And there's more info in this link from this very site - 
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/northern-ireland-energy/

Which includes the following (awful) information -

"SSE Airtricity increased prices by 28% for customers in the Greater Belfast and West area on 1 October. For a typical home, this will add £351 a year to bills for credit meter customers, and £348 a year for prepay.

Firmus Energy will hike prices by 56.3% in the Ten Towns area on 3 October. Typical bills will rise by £855 a year for credit meter customers and to £843 a year for prepay customers.

These increases were confirmed before the 'Energy Price Guarantee' was announced. We don't yet no exactly how the scheme will work, but it the Government has confirmed it'll be an up to 4 kilowatt per hour discount on the unit rate from November, so you should see bills fall then." 
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback