Link/Wescot CCA provided

Clive1980Clive1980 Forumite
11 Posts
First Anniversary First Post
Forumite
Hi

months after my initial cca request was sent, Wescot have finally sent over the paperwork requested and it all looks above board.  Debt was originally a Halifax loan.

does this mean the debt is enforceable? I have tried to make FFA of about 40% which would have been secured borrowing against my property, this was rejected.  Will I be ok with token payments under these circumstances? At the currrent time I have no spare money to be paying anything of substance towards this debt.

Replies

• sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    26.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Making a request for information under sec 77/79 CCA is one of your statutory rights and has no bearing on how much you may think a creditor will accept as payment on a monthly basis.

Do not be adding this to your mortgage though, it`s a very bad idea.

You offer to pay (A) what you are comfortable with, and (B) what is affordable to you, no other criteria apply.
    Ex MSE Board Guide.

More than a third of IVA`s fail....fact.
    Could A Debt Relief Order help you ?
    Never pay a fee for a Debt Management Plan.
    For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • Clive1980Clive1980 Forumite
    11 Posts
    Forumite
    Thank you for the advice.

am I right in thinking that I have now lost the luxury of ignoring them though?

I don’t want to run the risk of a CCJ 
  • sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    26.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Do Wescott own the debt?

If so, the worst thing you can do is ignore them at this stage, they can and do, get legal.

All you have to do is tell them your circumstances, if you can`t afford to pay, say so, affordability is paramount, especially these days with the price of everything going up, debts of this nature are all non-priority, they know this, they know when things are tough, credit debts are the last on the list, they will probably be grateful for anything right now.
    Ex MSE Board Guide.

More than a third of IVA`s fail....fact.
    Could A Debt Relief Order help you ?
    Never pay a fee for a Debt Management Plan.
    For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • Clive1980Clive1980 Forumite
    11 Posts
    Forumite
    Wescot are acting on behalf of LINK, think the debt is owned by LC asset SARL.

Wescot have been supportive and I’m being handled by their Customer Support Unit at present.

Debt is about 18k, owed about 16k to other companies but have managed favourable settlements, this is the last default I have.  They’ve offered  settlement of about 14k which is well beyond me.  Had it 5 years now, it took its toll on me and I was too focused on trying to pay it all off.  I’m not really in a position to pay anything substantial but don’t want it hanging over me the rest of my life either.

Think a token payment is the best I can do as I don’t want to borrow extra on mortgage when that debt is unsecured as things stand.