Energy Price Cap announcement: Watch Martin Lewis explain what it means for your electricity and gas bills this winter

Solar quote advice please

Replies

• TheTwillowsTheTwillows Forumite
    8 Posts
    First Post
    Forumite
    Is there any practical differance between
    • a 5kW FOX ESS hybrid invertor and a
    • 6kW Luxpower hybrid invertor? (Other than the capacity)
  • fishfiendukfishfienduk Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Post
    Not sure about the luxpower inverter, but I have the Foxess  H1 5kw Hybrid, and it'll output 5kw of power before drawing from the grid, and charge up the batteries at 5kw too.. 
  • NormanSpinyNormanSpiny Forumite
    11 Posts
    Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Update:

Had another quote from Tile Energy. Pretty much the same as the others except they also do the Tesla battery system. The guy said that it's the only system that acts like a backup PSU for your house, ie if the grid goes down you don't lose power like you would with another grid-tied system. This can't be right can it? There must be other systems that do this. The Tesla battery is very expensive and has a 9-12 month lead time.
  • QrizBQrizB Forumite
    9.9K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    This can't be right can it? There must be other systems that do this.
    Yes you can achieve this result with other systems.
    The Tesla battery is very expensive and has a 9-12 month lead time.
    Other people have reported the same.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Voda BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple WT2 member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 2.5kw inverter. 29MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Kinda busy right now but I try to pop back to the forum every so often. Drop me a PM if you need me!
  • NormanSpinyNormanSpiny Forumite
    11 Posts
    Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    What other systems will act as a backup system other than Tesla?
  • 70sbudgie70sbudgie Forumite
    695 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The terminology you are looking for is the ability to operate in island mode. This also needs approval from your DNO. Given the relative prevalence of Tesla powerwalls, this seems not to be too much of an issue.
    2.52kW ENE and 1.8kW WSW solar panels, 3.6kW inverter. Zoe. Ripple Kirk Hill. Cheshire
  • QrizBQrizB Forumite
    9.9K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Most people on this forum with home batteries have an Emergency Power Supply (EPS) function built into their inverters. This provides an independent 240VAC supply in the event of power outage.
    • Some people (myself included) haven't wired this up at all.
    • Others have it connected to feed a double socket adjacent to the inverter, to give a local power source.
    • A few (including I think Reed_Richards and ispoookie666) have theirs wired to a contactor that switches part of their house load over to the EPS connection. This isn't quite a UPS - there is a (short) switching delay - but means some of their circuits remain live uring a power outage.
    What level of backup are you looking for?
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Voda BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple WT2 member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 2.5kw inverter. 29MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Kinda busy right now but I try to pop back to the forum every so often. Drop me a PM if you need me!
  • 70sbudgie70sbudgie Forumite
    695 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    QrizB said:
    Most people on this forum with home batteries have an Emergency Power Supply (EPS) function built into their inverters. This provides an independent 240VAC supply in the event of power outage.
    • Some people (myself included) haven't wired this up at all.
    • Others have it connected to feed a double socket adjacent to the inverter, to give a local power source.
    • A few (including I think Reed_Richards and ispoookie666) have theirs wired to a contactor that switches part of their house load over to the EPS connection. This isn't quite a UPS - there is a (short) switching delay - but means some of their circuits remain live uring a power outage.
    What level of backup are you looking for?
    Is this different to "island mode"? The way you describe it above, it sounds more like a standard feature on battery inverters. Does it require DNO approval to activate the feature?
    2.52kW ENE and 1.8kW WSW solar panels, 3.6kW inverter. Zoe. Ripple Kirk Hill. Cheshire
  • powerful_Roguepowerful_Rogue Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    My house has a dual consumer unit, so I could flip a switch and use a generator in the garage to power the house. When I get solar installed tomorrow, they are going to utilise this so that if there was a power cut, I could flip the switch and instead of the house being powered by a generator, it will be powered by my batteries instead.
  • edited 31 October 2022 at 11:57AM
    NormanSpinyNormanSpiny Forumite
    11 Posts
    Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 31 October 2022 at 11:57AM
    On my seemingly never-ending search for a PV and battery system I discovered myenergi. They seem to have a battery backup system that fits the bill. Based in Britain too, which is a bonus. I'm not keen on contributing any more to Elon Musk's billions. Anybody have any experience of this company?