NHS Pension take 2008 pension and continue paying into the 2015 scheme??

Options
Due to take the 2018 element of my pension so I contacted NHS pensions and was advised I could take the 2008 element of my pension, do a 24hr retirement, then re start and continue to pay into the 2015 scheme.

So I applied for the 2008 pension to be advised.... "can't do that, you are unable to continue to pay into 2015 once 2008 is taken"....

Checked the NHS pension website, and it says you can, so I advised person sorting out my pension as to this and copied the relevant part of the website...

They came back again and said,...... "had a long chat with NHS pensions and no you can't"......(take 2008 and continue to pay into 2015).

I re-contatced NHS pensions and they advised ..."the website is correct, and yes you can..." (take 2008 and continue to pay into 2015)...

Does anybody know who is right as I am not sure who to talk to next ???

Comments

• MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can you put a link to the web site here? 
  • Brilley
    Brilley Posts: 225 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Last paragraph......

...If you have membership in the 2008 Section and the 2015 Scheme, you can continue paying into the 2015 Scheme after claiming   the 2008/2015  benefits.  However, you must have a 24 hour break before returning to NHS employment....

• squirrelpie
    Options
    So just to confirm, you're not in the 1995 section and you are in the 2015 scheme?
  • Brilley
    edited 28 September 2022 at 8:50AM
    Options
    So just to confirm, you're not in the 1995 section and you are in the 2015 scheme?
    ..no not in the 1995 scheme....2008 & 2015....

• Bimbly
    Bimbly Posts: 483 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I imagine you have to sort retiring for 24 hours before returning. Maybe go back to them and clarify how you do this?
  • Brilley
    edited 28 September 2022 at 4:27PM
    Options
    Hi and thanks for the replies. I am aware I need to take a minimum 24 hr requirement to satisfy NHS Pension, and each Health Board has there own "extra" on top of this, (which in my case is 2 weeks).
    I have now made another (4th) phone call to NHS pensions and all 4 have confirmed I can retire, take my 2008 penion, return to work and continue to pay into the 2015 scheme as noted on the NHS Pension website.
    It would appear that only the person actually dealing with my application is saying I can't.....not surprised the NHS is in a mess!!
  • Brilley
    Options
    ..just as a final update I can confirm that I have now had an e-mail confirming I can do what I always thought I could, ie take 2008 pension and continue to pay into 2015. Not sure why the "proffesional" dealing with my pension did not understand this particulalrly as it is clearly stated onthe NHS pensions website and confirmed by 4 different people with the NHS pensions service?
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    Brilley said:
    ..just as a final update I can confirm that I have now had an e-mail confirming I can do what I always thought I could, ie take 2008 pension and continue to pay into 2015. Not sure why the "proffesional" dealing with my pension did not understand this particulalrly as it is clearly stated onthe NHS pensions website and confirmed by 4 different people with the NHS pensions service?
    You really needed a professional to help with this 😉
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure