Solar Quote - thoughts

Hi - I have had quite a few quotes recently to get solar panels on my roof.  Some have bothered have got back to me and some have not.  Some have been extortionate as well taking advantage of current demand I guess.  Anyway I have sort of boiled it down to potentially this system - price is just under £13k.  What are people's thoughts?  Technically I could do with someone having a look at it?  Total consumption is 8500-9000kwh for a 4 person household.

Thanks and views much appreciated.  I am very new to this.  

JA Solar 380W solar panel 14
G2 GivEnergy 5kW Hybrid inverter 1
**NET** Emlite Bi-directional Meter ECA2.nv 1 
GivEnergy EM115 Meter with CT Clamp 1
AC isolator - KN 25A 3-pole 2
G2 GivEnergy 9.5kWh LiFePO4 Battery (integrated DC breaker) 1
IMO DC isolator 16A 2p 1string 2
Pair of MC4 connectors 4 

Comments

• ABrass
    ABrass Forumite Posts: 986
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Too expensive. That's a 5.3kW array with 9.5kWh battery. It isn't a good price.

Is that as large as you can go for your array? You have a very high annual usage, if you've got room to get closer to 10kW it would be good and get you a more competitive price.

8kW (4kW WNW, 4kW SSE) 6kW inverter. 6.5kWh battery.
  • Screwdriva
    Screwdriva Forumite Posts: 1,025
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Partially agree with ABrass - it's not the best quote but you could do worse. I would go back to your installer and insist that they offer you Sharp, Hyundai or Solarwatt 400W panels at that price.

-  10 x 400w LG + 6 x 550W SHARP BiFacial Panels + SE 3680 HD Wave Inverter + SE Optimizers. SE London.
    -  Triple aspect. (22% ENE/ 33% SSE/ 45% WSW)
    -  Viessmann 200-W on Advanced Weather Comp. (the most efficient gas boiler sold)
  • aj9648
    aj9648 Forumite Posts: 1,365
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    Forumite
    ABrass said:

Is that as large as you can go for your array? You have a very high annual usage, if you've got room to get closer to 10kW it would be good and get you a more competitive price.

Yep it is high. 2 EV’s get charged quite regularly. Wm/ tumble dryer/ dishwasher seem to be on all the time!!

I can only get 14 panels on the roof and that’s at a push tbh so getting to 10kw is impossible. 
  • ispookie666
    ispookie666 Forumite Posts: 1,152
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Givenergy's reputation has gone down the toilet. They have lead time like infinity and they company is very difficult to reach and deal with. I am not alone. 
    If I were you, I'd probably look at getting an alternate inverter and battery system. 
    “Don't raise your voice, improve your argument." - Desmond Tutu

System 1 - 14 x 250W SunModule SW + Enphase ME215 microinverters (July 2015)
    System 2 - 20 x 330W Jinko Panels + Enphase IQ7+ microinverters (Jan 2022) + Givenergy AC Coupled inverter + 2 * 8.2KWh Battery (May 2022) + Mitsubishi 7.1 KW and 2* Daikin 2.5 KW A2A Heat Pump
  • rew81
    rew81 Forumite Posts: 45
    10 Posts
    Forumite
    aj9648 said:
    ABrass said:

Yep it is high. 2 EV’s get charged quite regularly. Wm/ tumble dryer/ dishwasher seem to be on all the time!!

I can only get 14 panels on the roof and that’s at a push tbh so getting to 10kw is impossible. 
    You need panels with a bigger production power. If you have a big anual consumption and a small roof space, why would you chose panels that are giving your such a small production-380w? All the Tier 1 brands are offering now 400w and over panels. You can get close to 6kwp and maybe a bit over in the space available. Do the math and see what is the best combination as the size of the panels also grows if you go for a bigger production power. 
    Comparing with the quotes I have received yours is expensive.
    How many quotes did you get?
    15 Trina Vertex S+ 415W Dual N-Type Solar Panel 
    G2 GivEnergy 5kW Hybrid Inverter 
    G2 GivEnergy 9.5kWh Battery Storage
    £11700
    That is what I went for.
    Do your research on the panels and warranties and go for the best you can afford. 
    GivEnergy is offering 10 years warranty for their batteries and inverters, I would not go for anything less than that.

Essex, 15 Trina Vertex S+ 415W, Huawei SUN2000-6KTL-L1, 10kw LUNA2000 batteries 
  • QrizB
    QrizB Forumite Posts: 12,353
    10,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    rew81 said:
    aj9648 said:
    ABrass said:

You need panels with a bigger production power. If you have a big anual consumption and a small roof space, why would you chose panels that are giving your such a small production-380w? All the Tier 1 brands are offering now 400w and over panels. You can get close to 6kwp and maybe a bit over in the space available.
    Until the next incremental increase in cell efficiency, higher power panels are physically larger. Just saying "you can buy 400+ watt panels" doesn't mean you can fit them on the roof.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • rew81
    rew81 Forumite Posts: 45
    10 Posts
    Forumite
    QrizB said:
    rew81 said:
    aj9648 said:
    ABrass said:

You need panels with a bigger production power. If you have a big anual consumption and a small roof space, why would you chose panels that are giving your such a small production-380w? All the Tier 1 brands are offering now 400w and over panels. You can get close to 6kwp and maybe a bit over in the space available.
    Until the next incremental increase in cell efficiency, higher power panels are physically larger. Just saying "you can buy 400+ watt panels" doesn't mean you can fit them on the roof.
    As I have also pointed. 
    Essex, 15 Trina Vertex S+ 415W, Huawei SUN2000-6KTL-L1, 10kw LUNA2000 batteries 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 340.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 448.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 231.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 603.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.6K Life & Family
  • 245.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback