Frozen bank account experiences

Options
Hi,
I was just wanting some help regarding my bank account - I filed for bankruptcy two weeks ago. One of my accounts have been frozen (with the Nationwide, nothing in it really and hardly ever used). My main account with MONZO is the one I’m worried about as I get my benefits paid into it. I’ve contacted them to request it remains open but they say they have to wait for instructions from the Official Receiver. Does anyone know how long this process takes? Really worried as how will I get my benefits (Carers Allowance and Universal Credit) if the account is frozen? 

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,590 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    If you ticked the entry on the application form to say that is the one you use, and it's not currently overdrawn, then it should remain unfrozen.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,925 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Mahugsy said:
    Hi,
    I was just wanting some help regarding my bank account - I filed for bankruptcy two weeks ago. One of my accounts have been frozen (with the Nationwide, nothing in it really and hardly ever used). My main account with MONZO is the one I’m worried about as I get my benefits paid into it. I’ve contacted them to request it remains open but they say they have to wait for instructions from the Official Receiver. Does anyone know how long this process takes? Really worried as how will I get my benefits (Carers Allowance and Universal Credit) if the account is frozen? 
    To avoid any possible problems, it`s always best to make sure you have cash to hand, prior to going bankrupt.

However, if it`s your everyday account, with no outstanding debt on it, it shouldn`t be a problem.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Mahugsy
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I have kept some money aside for every day bills etc, it was just getting my benefits paid into the account that was concerning me. I did tick the box to say it was my main account and the OR is aware that I’m in receipt of benefits so hopefully they’ll inform MONZO of this ( it’s a basic account and I have no debt with them)
    Thanks again for your time .
  • Mckenna
    Mckenna Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My account was with Monzo, as long as you don’t owe Monzo money - don’t be in an overdraft it should remain open.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback