Solar Together experiences?

Options
I’d appreciate feedback from anyone who has participated in a local government Solar Together initiative.

Feedback with respect to has the process actually delivered on it’s cost-saving promise?  Was the estimate less than other comparable quotes?  Was the installation carried our promptly?  Were there any issues encountered through the process and installation or were there any unexpected positives.

Anything appreciated.

Comments

• Hexane
    Hexane Posts: 520 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    More importantly... what are you being promised in terms of cost savings?
    7.25 kWp PV system (4.1kW WSW & 3.15kW ENE), Solis inverter, myenergi eddi & harvi for energy diversion to immersion heater. myenergi hub for Virtual Power Plant demand-side response trial.
  • Magnitio
    Options
    Some people local to me had quotes and they were far too high. Given the current market, I would expect that all decent installers have plenty of business without getting involved in schemes like this. Those that do get involved will quote high prices to make it worth their while. A year or two ago, this would have been a great initiative.
    6.4kWp (16 * 400Wp REC Alpha) facing ESE + 5kW Huawei inverter + 10kWh Huawei battery. Buckinghamshire.
  • Sibelius
    Options
    I would strongly suggest you get several different quotes. I was really put off by being told I had to pay the deposit within 3 days after receiving the final quote email. At the time I was still waiting for further quotes from other companies.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Magnitio said:
    A year or two ago, this would have been a great initiative.
    I am not even sure it was a great initiative even then - I obtained a quote through the local scheme and the offer was simply "your solar installation will cost £x" followed by an invite to pay the deposit.  I contacted the admin people to see what I'd get for "£x" only to be told that would be fixed at a survey once I'd paid the deposit and agreed to go ahead.  Clearly, the installer would then provide as little as they could get away with for "£x".

I did use the scheme as a prompt to obtain alternative quotes.  It was still difficult to actually obtain a proper quote or any company actually willing to visit to provide a quote - I actually did a thread about my experience and trying to get advice to assess the quotes.  In the end, we never went ahead with anyone.

If someone started a company offering domestic solar and actually a little smidgeon of customer service, they'd really clean up.
  • 70sbudgie
    Options
    My Dad got a quote and compared to the general quote information from this board, it was massively over priced (>200% target price) and the lack of transparency combined with the pressure to accept quickly made it feel like scamming tactics. Which is a real shame, because the whole point of a shared purchase scheme should be to take advantage of the economies of scale of PV panel purchase.
    4.3kW PV, 3.6kW inverter. Octopus Tracker. Zoe. Ripple x 2. Cheshire
  • EnagroM
    Options
    I joined the Surrey Solar Together scheme last year and paid my deposit. I was told it would be July this year before the installation could be done, then the company got a cancellation and the panels were installed in early January this year. The installation of 14 panels and a battery went smoothly enough and we have spent a minimal amount on energy bills since then.

The installation cost me £7,000 and I calculate that I am getting between 7-8% return on my investment at my present tariff rate  fixed in May 2021 and runs out in May 2023. This will become far higher when my contract runs out and I have new rates. I am not selling surplus electricity to the grid as I do not want a smart meter yet but I will consider it next year.

I have bought an electric cooker to save gas but have kept the gas cooker as the hob and eye level grill are convenient and only used for short periods. We are making minimal background use of our gas central heating and water heating, with an electric fan heater in the room we are in if necessary.

From January to May our Gas usage went down by 24% (electric cooking & some heating), electricity from the grid by 84%. From May to September gas 42% (no central heating), electricity 94%. I estimate that our total energy bill for the 12 months ending January 2023 will be £700-800, compared with £1,324 for a similar period in 2020/21 part of which was on a lower tariff. 

I do not understand why the pundits always refer to the payback period when discussing solar panels, 7-8% return on capital is better than any other 100% safe investment and I am content to get the capital back when I sell the house. With the increases in energy costs my ROI will increase in proportion, especially if I take steps to further reduce my reliance on gas.

The present problems with suppliers is that demand has increased, supply of equipment is tight and a lot of cowboys have been attracted by the boom. 

• Mimikins
    Options
    Hi, I very recently had a system installed via solar together in Kent. Aside from ensuring a fair price, I liked the scheme because it set minimum standards for the components, did some due diligence on installers, and specified guarantees etc. So it took some of my concerns away. There was no hard selling: I actually asked for 2 more panels than the surveyor initially suggested, and I added storage. No speculative payback figures, but I was provided with possible savings based on various levels of use/export, and encouraged to think about usage patterns. I had 8 panels installed, solis hybrid inverter, 2 x 3.2kw batteries, plus iboost and pigeon protection for 8.4k. They also do the registration so I'll be able to export, some installers add that on. We're a 3 story townhouse with tricky access so scaffolding put my costs up a bit, it's hard to compare like for like, but overall am happy. I did register in March and the installation was September as they were over subscribed though!
  • uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mimikins said:
    Hi, I very recently had a system installed via solar together in Kent. Aside from ensuring a fair price, I liked the scheme because it set minimum standards for the components, did some due diligence on installers, and specified guarantees etc. So it took some of my concerns away. There was no hard selling: I actually asked for 2 more panels than the surveyor initially suggested, and I added storage. No speculative payback figures, but I was provided with possible savings based on various levels of use/export, and encouraged to think about usage patterns. I had 8 panels installed, solis hybrid inverter, 2 x 3.2kw batteries, plus iboost and pigeon protection for 8.4k. They also do the registration so I'll be able to export, some installers add that on. We're a 3 story townhouse with tricky access so scaffolding put my costs up a bit, it's hard to compare like for like, but overall am happy. I did register in March and the installation was September as they were over subscribed though!
    Thanks for taking the trouble.  Couple of questions …..

How soon after the auction closed did you get your offer, and did you get aany other quotes to compare?

Thanks
  • Mimikins
    Options
    Hi,  registered on 12/03, auction 15/3, received original offer 8/4. That was based on 8 panels no storage, and was 4.3k. It came with spec sheets and price lists for everything on offer, I spent a few days googling reviews and forums. Didn't get additional quotes but did look at similar systems online and I had the prices for main components so decided to carry on to the survey stage and see how I felt. Also added iboost and storage to the wish list. There was a phone survey mid June, the proper one 11/8, panels installed 16/9. Take up was 40% more  than expected so it took a while. 
  • Boa21
    Boa21 Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Probably late to be posting this, but be VERY wary about this.

Solar Together awarded many contracts to Green Energy Together (GET UK) and this has been a disaster for many. Check out Trust Pilot and scores of newspaper money help forums
    The force is strong in this one!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure