We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

DMP, IVA, any help appreciated

Options
Hi. The balance is feeling like it’s at tipping point. We have spent stupidly for years and have never known how to budget. All together we have around £46k of debt and are in the midst of a financial crossroads. Don’t know the best way forward so any advice is greatly received. I will post my SOA when I get them all together. 

Thanks for reading. 

Comments

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you spoke to a debt charity?

Do you own a house, or any other significant asset like a Dali on the walls?

What is the split between you, partner and joint debt?
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 29,173 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    As a basic rule of thumb, if a debt solution is required for your debt of 46k, and you own a house, then your choice is between debt management and an IVA, which is best will depend on a number of factors, your income/expenditure/your job etc.

If you are not a homeowner, then the choice is between debt management and bankruptcy, which is best will again be circumstance dependant.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If either of you has a total less than £30K debt, from sole debt and joint debt, other options may be available.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport