Personal Loan to Reduce Variable-Rate Mortgage

stattman
stattman Posts: 68
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 5 September 2022 at 9:56AM in Mortgage-free wannabe
It seems to be the case where there are (still) some competitive (fixed rate) Personal Loans available which would help offset the bulk of my remaining mortgage, which will be affected as the BoE rates go up.  So all things being equal and accepting the golden rule that mortgages are a cheaper form of borrowing than loans (which here is not the case);   (I've checked with my mortgage provider and there are no penalties for paying lump sums to reduce the amount). Not sure what I'm missing? Are there any restrictions in being able to do this debt-consolidation? (There are some caveats about not allowing a loan to be used to purchase a property / mortgage deposit it seems). 

Comments

• savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 26,821
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I think it depends on the size of your mortgage and how easy it is for you to borrow £ and at what rate. I personally would consider loans and CCs when my mortgage is small enough. Another question is whether the loan would result in a charge on your house or be independent - if independent - it may in some ways reduce your risk as the size of the charge on your home would reduce.

Also remember with loans or CC balance transfer the way the interest may be applied is different... With CC's the cost is more upfront rather than the mortgage daily example... 

In the past I've had CC's with zero balance transfer fee which is an option I'd consider too. 

You have to do the maths on your circumstances and be sure that you can pay everything off within the required time.

Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26% (lower post move compensated by EF)
    2) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £7,613/£127,466 AVC target 5.97%
    3) FI Age 60 annual income target £12,500/30,000 41.66%
    Achievements: CC free since April 22. 1 year EF from Jan 24 & dedicated pot for home improvements
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback