UK Debt & living abroad

Options
I need some advice please.  I have a loan that I took out when I was in the UK ( I am British). I’m now married to an American & living permanently in the USA.   I’m not currently working & have been make small (arranged) payments to my loan as I can’t afford the full monthly payment.  

The loan company won’t let me carry on with reduced payments & asked me to contact StepChange for a long term arrangement.  

However would this be appropriate if I’m not in the UK.   What would happen if I can’t pay the full payments.  Should I continue my reduced payments. 

Jan 

Comments

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
     Do you plan on returning to the uk to live at any point? 
  • Jan2555
    Options
    Very unlikely
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,974 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Non of the debt charities will offer help to anyone who does not reside in the UK.

This topic emerges on here from time to time, posters who have UK debts, but who have moved abroad.

Basically, the same answer applies as much to you, as the others who posted previously, debts accrued under the consumer credit act, are mainly of the unsecured, non priority type.

It`s true that the mechanisms to recover this money do exist where some foreign countries are concerned, but on the whole, consumer debts are not chased abroad, if you stop paying, nothing will happen, letters will go to your last known address, court action may or may not be taken, but no enforcement action will happen if they don`t know where you are, and these would only be enforced in the UK anyway, never abroad.

So there won`t be a penalty for stopping payment if its unaffordable, as long as you don`t intend to come back here for at least 6 years.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Jan2555
    Options
    Thanks so much for that information.  I really appreciate it.  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback