MSE Poll: How many paid-for streaming services do you subscribe to?

Options
Poll started 30 August 2022

Recent research suggests more and more people are cancelling their subscriptions to video streaming services, as we all face the rising cost of living. So this week, we want to hear what paid-for services you currently subscribe to, if you've cut back in the last six months and why.

Click here to vote in the poll

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below.
If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.
Thanks!

Comments

• jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't have a TV and if I were to use my PC I'd be frustrated with not being able to use it whilst I watched...I need/want to be able to do more than one thing at a time! I don't think my lack of subscription means I'm an odd one out, I think it's entirely due to my short attention span that I don't subscribe!

But I do use a music subscription service. It will go when I have to make cuts, but for now it's a guilty pleasure! I don't do coffees out or the gym and don't drink or eat out at all anymore, I've literally cut back as much as I can. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to be a student any more (despite actually being in education at the moment!) I'd take the student account and probably keep it without even considering cutting it out, but at £10 a month, I just can't justify keeping it. If I can't afford the music, I definitely can't afford the videos.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Have to say that I struggle with the question... I pay for Amazon Prime to get free same day/next day delivery but it comes bundled with Prime Video but I almost never watch anything on it. Similar with AppleTV+ it comes with other services I buy but I do use it a bit more. 

HBO Max I only subscribe to for a month at a time when a new premier is released and then catchup on the few series I watch in those months so it may be only 1-3 months a year. 

Disney+ and Netflix I do subscribe to, though the later I signed up whilst outside the UK and so fees are notably lower than the UK. 
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Difficult to vote as it is not as straight forward as the poll wants answers too. I get Netflix, Paramount+ and Discovery+ as part of the Sky subscription, so is that classed as subscribing to them at cost? Netflix is the only one of those I would keep if they weren't bundled.
  • shropshirelady
    Options
    jenniewb said:
    Don't have a TV and if I were to use my PC I'd be frustrated with not being able to use it whilst I watched...I need/want to be able to do more than one thing at a time! I don't think my lack of subscription means I'm an odd one out, I think it's entirely due to my short attention span that I don't subscribe!

But I do use a music subscription service. It will go when I have to make cuts, but for now it's a guilty pleasure! I don't do coffees out or the gym and don't drink or eat out at all anymore, I've literally cut back as much as I can. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to be a student any more (despite actually being in education at the moment!) I'd take the student account and probably keep it without even considering cutting it out, but at £10 a month, I just can't justify keeping it. If I can't afford the music, I definitely can't afford the videos.
    I don't use a tv either, but do have it on my computer and just put it on another window and shrink it on one side of the screen, so I can use both. There's not much that I watch though. I suppose it depends on what size screen you have. 
  • EricDeeson
    Options
    One thing I've done not asked about in survey is to go to a cheaper subscription for Netflix - no discernible change in what we get.
  • Rizvani04
    Options
    I actually got a new Amazon subscription. We got rid of the car during Covid and started buying more online. We cancelled TV licence instead as we don't watch BBC or live TV. We have also plugged an old PC to the TV so we can watch free online streaming (All4, My5...) on the TV.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Rizvani04 said:
    I actually got a new Amazon subscription. We got rid of the car during Covid and started buying more online. We cancelled TV licence instead as we don't watch BBC or live TV. We have also plugged an old PC to the TV so we can watch free online streaming (All4, My5...) on the TV.
    Get a firestick and in addition to prime movies/TV it has many 100's of free apps available including catch up services and is much cheaper to run than an old PC
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I watch using someone else’s Netflix. Does that count? 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Currently using one son in law's Amazon Prime and Netflix log ins and the other son in law's BT Sports log in.  If only SkyGo didn't disallow HDMI output from Android box , I could go sub free !!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback