Paying off partners mortgage

I am buying into my partners house using the equity from the sale of my house.  I have filled in TR1 form and had it witnessed. I have also filled out an ID1 form and had that witnessed by my another solicitor.  I want to transfer the  money direct to my partners solicitor to pay off his mortgage. But she says that the money needs to be paid from my partners bank account.

I'm not happy with this because to me that appears as though I am gifting him the money rather than buying a share of the house.

Any advice please? Thanks.


  • MumToOne
    MumToOne Posts: 40
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Is your name being added to the deeds? 
  • MumToOne said:
    Is your name being added to the deeds? 
    Yes, that's what the TR1 form is.
  • South_coast
    South_coast Posts: 4,779
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Why does it have to go via the solicitor? Can't you just send it direct to the mortgage via a bank transfer?
    Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
    Cleared 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
    Total amount repaid: £72,307.03. £1.10 repaid for every £1.00 borrowed

    Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards