Zinc group letter

Options
Hi, I wonder if anyone has any advice on my next steps ?

I received a letter yesterday from Zinc credit management regarding a £72 debt with Vodafone. 

The thing is I've never had any services from Vodafone, only Voxi which was a 1 month rolling sim only contract paid in advance which is now closed .

I called both Vodafone and Voxi who confirmed I have no accounts with either of them .

Zinc aren't open until Monday so was wondering what my course of action should be ? 

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    We don't recommend phoning them. This may be a fishing exercise with someone else's debt.

We recommend a prove-it (email is ok) and see what comes back.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter

I can't imagine they're going to get too aggressive with a £72 debt. TBH I didn't realise Zinc were still going - haven't heard of them for years.

Obvs check your credit records - you shouldn't have to pay a fee for this.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/check-free-credit-report/
  • confused1973
    Options
    Hi and thanks for replying , I will send a prove it letter and email it too .

I don`t think they can have my mobile number as they would have rung me by now so thanks for telling me not to ring them !!

I have checked all 3 free credit reports and there is nothing on any of them regarding this debt.

If it had been passed to a debt collection agency would something be on my reports regarding this debt ?

Thanks again for your help so far.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,974 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 14 August 2022 at 12:01PM
    Options
    fatbelly said:

I can't imagine they're going to get too aggressive with a £72 debt. TBH I didn't realise Zinc were still going - haven't heard of them for years.

Oh they have a lovely touchy/feely new look website, and such a worthy mission statement -

"At the Zinc group we believe in Treating All Customers Fairly, this means that you are our priority at all times, When dealing with The Zinc Group of companies, you will be treated with respect and understanding, we do not judge or make demands, we simply aim to give you the power to take control of your own very personal circumstances. Welcome to our world, we hope to say yes today".

Say yes today ? yes to what ?

Even debt collectors are jumping on the woke bandwagon, I miss the old days FB, at least you knew a spade was a spade, don`t know what these guys are trying to be ???
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    Options
    Yes, I miss the old days when they pretended to be solicitors or bailiffs or whatever..

Now they want to be your best friend.

Maybe they could say yes to 'Do you agree this isn't my debt?'

Oh, and Zinc, 'Welcome to our world'
  • SusieT
    SusieT Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    fatbelly said:

Oh they have a lovely touchy/feely new look website, and such a worthy mission statement -

"At the Zinc group we believe in Treating All Customers Fairly, this means that you are our priority at all times, When dealing with The Zinc Group of companies, you will be treated with respect and understanding, we do not judge or make demands, we simply aim to give you the power to take control of your own very personal circumstances. Welcome to our world, we hope to say yes today".

Say yes today ? yes to what ?

Even debt collectors are jumping on the woke bandwagon, I miss the old days FB, at least you knew a spade was a spade, don`t know what these guys are trying to be ???
    Technically, if (as it states on the website) they are a debt collector, then "we" are not the customer, as the client (in this case voda) will be paying them and therefore are the client. That is why they will be treated with respect :D:D 
    Credit card debt - NIL
    Home improvement secured loans 30,130/41,000 and 23,156/28,000 End 2027 and 2029
    Mortgage 64,513/100,000 End Nov 2035
    2022 all rolling into new mortgage + extra to finish house. 125,000 End 2036
  • confused1973
    Options
    Morning , just following up on my post .

Received an email today with 6 months worth of invoices from Vodafone with my name and old address from January this year with a data only plan .

All set up with a direct debit which comes back as failed so late payment charges have been added .

All looks legit apart from the fact I didn't live there at the invoice date and I never took any contract with Vodafone .

So what's my next step ?

I would again be grateful for any advice .
    Thanks again. 
  • fatbelly
    Options
    I would point out to them just what you've said to us  - I didn't live there at the invoice date and I never took any contract with Vodafone .
  • confused1973
    Options
    Thanks fatbelly . I have rung vodafone and finally found out it was a payg data only account opened in 2006 but never used.

In January of this year all old accounts were transferred to a new £10 a month contract and I should have been informed and given the option of closing it down but wasn't .

Vodafone have cleared the balance and I have informed zinc and they say they will contact Vodafone to confirm.

Hopefully that's the end of the matter but I suspect it won't be !

I have raised a formal complaint with Vodafone as they admit this never should have happened . 

We shall see 🤔
  • fatbelly
    Options
    Well done. 

It's really not worth anyone getting aggressive for such a small debt. As you say, if Vodafone have cleared the balance that should be the end of it.
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Keep evidence from Vodafone confirming there is no debt in case it is sold on.
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport