What sort of accountant/bookkeeper/etc. does this sort of simple work?

in Cutting tax
3 replies 82 views
actualspoonactualspoon Forumite
3 Posts
First Post

First question, apologies if I mess it up somehow!

My income tax situation is starting to look a bit messier.  It's not self-assessment but I think I could do with somebody (an accountant? a bookkeeper?) to look at my situation, answer a few questions I have and check how much money HMRC should owe me in higher-rate rebate in case I get that wrong.  Pretty simple for somebody who knows what they're doing.

I'm not sure what I should be looking for.  What do the sort of people who do that sort of work call themselves?  I imagine I would want the same sort of business that usually does people's self-assessments?  What can I do to avoid paying too much for this sort of advice (other than just asking questions here!)?

Note I'm NOT asking for somebody to recommend a specific accountant, I'm just asking for help to understand the market so I don't pay more than I need or go to the wrong sort of business.

Thank you


Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

British Gas prepay meter users...

...to pay less for gas from 1 April

MSE News

The 'odd Easter flavours' thread 2023

What bizarre food stuffs have you spied?

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools