We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Does anyone actually win on regular magazine comps?

As per title, I’ve been comping since 2019 and entering all the magazine puzzle comps every week (take a break etc) and only won one in that time (I have also won other comps). Do these comps get quite a lot of entries which reduce chances of winning? 
«1

Comments

  • pate-ci0
    pate-ci0 Posts: 3,689
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    You're lucky, I've only won a magazine comp once in 10 years! Seriously, I think there are a massive amount of entries for these so the odds are stacked against winning any one in particular, but folk here have won multiple times, as I'm sure they will comment.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 47,406
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    As per title, I’ve been comping since 2019 and entering all the magazine puzzle comps every week (take a break etc) and only won one in that time (I have also won other comps). Do these comps get quite a lot of entries which reduce chances of winning? 
    Numerous winners, numerous times just search the Iwon section where some winners choose to post

    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/i-won-i-won-i-won

    The Women's magazine circulation figures have been falling for years (as have the number of prizes and the total value of them) - highest circulation is still Take a Break although that has fallen in 13 or so years from over 1,000,000 a week to about 325,000, that's life, chat and bella are all in the range of 130,000 to 140,000 a week.
    Despite the falling sales they still have the potential for many thousands of entries each week (even if they only got 1,000 a week that would mean an average of 1 win per 19 years - each magazine offers multiple prizes which increases the chances of winning but they are likely to get tens of thousands of entries rather than just a thousand.
  • Blulu
    Blulu Posts: 7,869
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I've won quite a few of these over the years and at least three over the last year-ish.

    Blu XXX
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I'm not scared to be seen
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!


    When you talk down to others it says more about you than them.
  • janE1956
    janE1956 Posts: 2,289
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    do you enter by post or on line or both? Also lots of other comps on here including the mags dailies (have won a few on them\|)

  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 47,406
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 9 August 2022 at 12:05AM
    "Does anyone actually win on regular magazine comps - weekly magazine puzzle comps "

    As to the bit above almost certainly all the prizes are won but entries via MSE members represent only a tiny fraction of the total entries they receive.
  • pleaseme
    pleaseme Posts: 878
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I have won quite a few times but l do them every day 
  • Midnighter
    Midnighter Posts: 23,011
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 9 August 2022 at 1:49PM
    I've been lucky enough to win quite a few over the years. Among them six wins, five of 'em cash, with the much missed Real People.
    '...luck came to those who left a space for it.' Terry Pratchett
  • Surfermom
    Surfermom Posts: 1,519
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I won, I won, I won!
    Forumite
    I've been comping since 2009 and have won 4 or 5 times including a £3000 win a few years ago from That's Life. Nothing lately though.
  • Js31
    Js31 Posts: 114
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I’ve been entering Take a Break since 1990/1 and I’ve never won. Still keep trying though 
  • ally86
    ally86 Posts: 2,286
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I’ve won a couple of mag dailies, I do enter every single day though.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.