NOW OPEN. The MSE Forum's energy-themed Ask An Expert event is open for questions. Visit the dedicated board to ask MSE Gary & MSE Andrew about gas & electricity

Weedkiller that won't harm neighbourhood cats - does it exist?

Inspired by a post on the house buying / selling forum!

I have a gravel path with membrane thats got tons of weeds sprouting through. Can't afford to replace the membrane and they're growing faster than I can dig them out, so I want to try weedkiller but there are a couple of cats in the close vicinity. As a cat owner myself I've been reluctant to use weedkiller because of this but I can't keep on top of it and it's looking a right mess. 

Does anyone have any recommendations of a weedkiller that's safe around animals? Or any suggestions for other methods of getting rid of the weeds?
«1

Replies

  • kipperskippers Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    There is some good information here on weedkillers …. https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/pet-friendly-weedkillers/ 
  • SaintJudySaintJudy Forumite
    180 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    kippers said:
    There is some good information here on weedkillers …. https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/pet-friendly-weedkillers/ 
    Brilliant, thank you!
  • JoyfulJoyful Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I use vinegar, salt and washing up liquid to kill weeds in my garden. They die back in a couple of days.
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
  • twopennytwopenny Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I've used Weedol with dogs around.
    Apply just before rain is forcast when it has enough time to dry. I used to do it in the evening.
    Too be extra sure on a wide area I'd cover with netting just until dried. 

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

  • ApodemusApodemus Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Joyful said:
    I use vinegar, salt and washing up liquid to kill weeds in my garden. They die back in a couple of days.
    This approach is effective in killing the leaves and green parts of the plant, but they will quickly regrow, so you need to be committed to keeping on top of the spraying in the hope of weakening (and eventually killling) the plants.

    twopenny said:
    I've used Weedol with dogs around.
    Apply just before rain is forcast when it has enough time to dry. I used to do it in the evening.
    Too be extra sure on a wide area I'd cover with netting just until dried. 
    Weedol or traditional Roundup both claim to be safe for pets as long as the application is done as recommended and has time to dry.  There is a lot of fear and hype about these products which is probably overblown.  There is research (from the US) that suggests that the average pooch or moggy gets more exposure to glyphosate from pet food than they do from their environment...
  • WoolseryWoolsery Forumite
    989 Posts
    500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Apodemus said:
    There is a lot of fear and hype about these products which is probably overblown.  There is research (from the US) that suggests that the average pooch or moggy gets more exposure to glyphosate from pet food than they do from their environment...
    Not to mention ourselves. Unless one buys certified organic, there's no knowing when the product was used on  crop fields or orchards etc.

    WARNING: Money will  make you more of what you are.


  • 531063531063 Forumite
    144 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Rock salt                                                                                        .
  • ApodemusApodemus Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Woolsery said:
    Apodemus said:
    There is a lot of fear and hype about these products which is probably overblown.  There is research (from the US) that suggests that the average pooch or moggy gets more exposure to glyphosate from pet food than they do from their environment...
    Not to mention ourselves. Unless one buys certified organic, there's no knowing when the product was used on  crop fields or orchards etc.

    Interestingly, the Cornell study found that levels in dog urine were 32 times that of humans.  Cats showed 15x the human level.  Of course, being a US study there is a possibility that levels in all three species were affected by the presence of GM, Roundup-ready crops in the food chain.
  • GDB2222GDB2222 Forumite
    22.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I was going to suggest an electric weed burner, such as this one from Aldi.

    https://www.aldi.co.uk/ferrex-electric-weed-burner/p/817421620804200


    It’s worth reading the reviews, as they are really quite amusing. Having read them, I can’t recommend the product. 
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

The Forum 'Ask An Expert' event

Ask your energy questions by Wed 5pm

MSE Forum