Exchange without receipt - Primark

Options
pwmusic
pwmusic Posts: 3 Newbie
First Post
edited 1 August 2022 at 12:46PM in Shop but don't drop
Hello.

Last weekend I bought two hoodies from Primark. Unfortunately, one was the wrong size.

Primark are refusing to exchange the incorrect item for one in the correct size due to my not having the receipt, EVEN THOUGH my credit card receipt proves I purchased the item at the store.

I've written to their head office, who replied with "It says on the back of your receipt... no".

Firstly, is that legal? Surely that contravenes my statutory rights?

Secondly, I *don't have* my receipt.

(I could describe how their terrible counter staff caused this problem but I'm not sure whether that is permitted.)

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your credit card receipt proves you bought something at the store, not necessarily the hoodie.

You might need to push it quite hard for any success - such as if they can match a sale at the same time to the card transaction on their own systems, though that will involve some work.
  • pwmusic
    pwmusic Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    edited 17 August 2022 at 6:40PM
    Options
    Your credit card receipt proves you bought something at the store, not necessarily the hoodie.

You might need to push it quite hard for any success - such as if they can match a sale at the same time to the card transaction on their own systems, though that will involve some work.
    Thank you. You're entirely correct about the credit card receipt, of course.

I returned the next day and spent an age waiting for them to search video footage and till receipts, but they somehow didn't find anything...

It's very dispiriting to think of others who might have the same issue but are unable to suffer the consequences of Primark's indifference.

I was toying with the idea of starting a claim at the Small Claims Court in an attempt to shame Primark, but that would seem to be a futile endeavour: they have no shame.

On an entirely unrelated note, I love your username and icon. That was my first computer:-)
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,981 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
     There is no right to return things bought in store unless they are faulty or the company policy allows it 
  • pwmusic
    Options
    marcia_ said:
     There is no right to return things bought in store unless they are faulty or the company policy allows it 
    I never knew that!

Thanks for letting me know.

I guess it's only reasonable retailers that offer exchanges and refunds for non-faulty items.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback