Bought a tent that does not work

Options
Bought a tent from a big store.  Its been a nightmare since it arrived and this companies customer service is non exisitent?  The product is faulty and not fixed.  I have asked for a replacement and they have not responded.  I am thinking of trying to cancel my payment on the credit card, dump the tent and buy another one.  Has anyone been put into this position before and if so how did it work out for you?  

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 July 2022 at 11:06AM
    Options
    P1 said:
    I am thinking of trying to cancel my payment on the credit card, dump the tent and buy another one.  
    If you do that, you'll be without a tent and needing to still pay for it.

If you can't contact the company (although that seems unlikely if they're a big store), you could pursue a chargeback of section 75 via your card - but you can't dump the tent unless you're instructed to.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Maybe we could be more help if we can understand

When did you buy it ?
    Has it been used ?
    What's the fault ?
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 15,017 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did you buy in store or mail order?
  • P1
    P1 Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    Bought mail order from a company in Scotland.  Its an inflatable tent that does not hold air in one of the three struts.  The valves are aslo dodgy so i can take many attempts to inflate the tent.   1st two trips I tightened the valves as said in instructions. Bought in Apr.  Used 3 times.  Never worked fully.  Company even delivered them with security tags still on so they have been a pain since the start.   Due to so many pump up attempts the pump hose has broken.  I cannot book anywhere camping with this now as I cannot guarentee it will pitch or not change shape drastically in wind and rain.  I emailed them last saturday under the same ticket when camping saying I need a new tent as I was annoyed and I have heard no reply.   At this point surely I can use the credit company to refund me?
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    Options
    P1 said:
    Bought mail order from a company in Scotland.  Its an inflatable tent that does not hold air in one of the three struts.  The valves are aslo dodgy so i can take many attempts to inflate the tent.   1st two trips I tightened the valves as said in instructions. Bought in Apr.  Used 3 times.  Never worked fully.  Company even delivered them with security tags still on so they have been a pain since the start.   Due to so many pump up attempts the pump hose has broken.  I cannot book anywhere camping with this now as I cannot guarentee it will pitch or not change shape drastically in wind and rain.  I emailed them last saturday under the same ticket when camping saying I need a new tent as I was annoyed and I have heard no reply.   At this point surely I can use the credit company to refund me?
    So a decent, branded inflatable tent from a branded retailer or a Wowcher/Drop shipment special ?

Assuming direct from a proper retailer then go to your credit card company and start the process with them. Alternatively pick the phone up and speak to the retailer ;)
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    P1 said:
    Bought mail order from a company in Scotland.
    Who? A few years ago friends bought an expensive inflatable pole tent and needed instruction on how to use it. They recently bough a caravan awning and were convinced it was faulty until given instruction. I suspect its a common problem when selling tents. The retailer should be doing more to help.
    Vango are an excellent Scottish tent manufacturer with good after sales service. If yours was made by them try contacting them directly.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback