Drydensfairfax financial review letter

Options
This morning I received a letter from Drydensfairfax stating that I am required to have a financial review as my repayment arrangement has “expired”. Firstly, I do not recall receiving correspondence or agreeing to an end date or review date. 

How my relationship with Drydensfairfax began:
A letter arrived approximately 2 years ago stating that I owed this money. It arrived amongst other crisis and I opted for acceptance rather fight or challenge. So proceed with an offer. 
I do recall having an Egg credit card and defaulting on this at some point between 2006-8 so thought at the time I’ll just get on and pay. I moved house quite a bit in the years that followed and in around 2017 I settled in the place where I’ve now lived for nearly 5 years and call home. 

The letter received today talks about Drydensfairfax‘s need to “reassess” my financial situation and then provides a very long (5 pages) financial review form which ends with space to collect bank details for a direct debit (and a direct debit guarantee). 

Since entering into the arrangement, I have been paying £50 per month, I haven’t missed a payment and I have a standing order set up to end in 2025. 

The current outstanding debt is £1,900.00. 

While I have a decent salary, it is severely stretched with a dependant spouse who suffers with severe poor mental health, plenty of other debts accumulated from years of having to substitute my husband’s income, a child now at university, I’m also a non-home-owner with high and rising rental costs and just about getting by. I’ll get off my soapbox now. I know everyone out there has their struggles. 

So, I have a few questions:

1. Could I explore any routes under  statute barred rules?

a. Ask for a copy of the default notice sent to me?
b. Ask for a copy of the original credit agreement?
c. Stop paying as I am certain 6 or even 12 years has passed since the default and the first time I responded to any communication about the debt was in March 2020? 

2. I estimate the debt was state barred by means of the time limit in around 2014-2015. They write to me in 2020 and I made a payment arrangement.

a. If I continue paying £50 (which is affordable) and write a statement as such, can they pursue further legal action? 

b. I cannot recall or remember if this was a CCJ or not. Is there anyway I can find out, as I cannot see any record of this debt on my credit file?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide. 

Comments

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This debt might have been statute barred when you were contacted 2 years ago.

Even if there was a CCJ, if that had been issued more than 6 years previously, they needed to go back to court to get permission to enforce the CCJ.

You might have to start with a CCA letter and go from there. And cancel the SO meantime.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,966 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    In your position, I would go straight for the jugular, and send the statute barred letter, it makes no difference that you have been paying this debt recently, as long as there was a period of at least 6 years of no payments or written acknowledgement by you, then it would have been statute barred long before they wrote to you originally.

That would be my stance on this.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • 40yearoldFTB
    Options
    Many thanks - can anyone direct me to any templates for statute barred letters?
  • SusieT
    SusieT Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6027755/statute-barred-debts-and-the-limitation-act#latest

It is the sort of situation where it would be fun (so do not actually do it), to send a letter saying thank you for your letter requiring a financial review, due to receiving this I have looked more closely into this debt and have discovered that at the time I started paying you it was already statute barred, therefore please return all the payments I have made  :D:D
    Credit card debt - NIL
    Home improvement secured loans 30,130/41,000 and 23,156/28,000 End 2027 and 2029
    Mortgage 64,513/100,000 End Nov 2035
    2022 all rolling into new mortgage + extra to finish house. 125,000 End 2036
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,966 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    SusieT said:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6027755/statute-barred-debts-and-the-limitation-act#latest

It is the sort of situation where it would be fun (so do not actually do it), to send a letter saying thank you for your letter requiring a financial review, due to receiving this I have looked more closely into this debt and have discovered that at the time I started paying you it was already statute barred, therefore please return all the payments I have made  :D:D
    I`d actually go with this idea, after all, what`s the worst that can happen.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback