Can I have a second rebate?

Hello!

I live in a bungalow which is in council tax Band A, and built onto the back is an annex which the council have decided is a separate dwelling and has it's own council tax bill (also Band A).  So in effect, we pay twice the band A council tax which is over £200 more than a Band E property in my area....

I have received the rebate for the "main" house, but not had one for the annex.  Am I entitled to one?  

Many thanks for any advice / Help

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,795 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    You are not entitled to the rebate for a second home
  • Yes, I thought that might be the case, although I don't consider it to be a second home.  I am trying to find out what I need to do it get the annex to be removed as a separate dwelling.  But I expect that I will have to find another part of the forums to find that out.  Many thanks for the help.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,600 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ibayntun said:
    Yes, I thought that might be the case, although I don't consider it to be a second home.  I am trying to find out what I need to do it get the annex to be removed as a separate dwelling.  But I expect that I will have to find another part of the forums to find that out.  Many thanks for the help.
    You will need to approach the Valuation Office Agency (part of HMRC) as they deal with CT banding not the council. The usual procedure would be to remove the kitchen, capping off any gas/electric points for the cooker, removing water pipes coming out of the wall capping them and plastering over. However do check with the VOA if this would be sufficient, but also be aware the VOA may be non-commital.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback