Are you on a fixed energy tariff?

Options
MSE_Rosie
MSE_Rosie Posts: 34 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 12 July 2022 at 4:47PM in MoneySaving polls
Poll started 12 July 2022 

With the energy market in crisis, usual switching habits have been turned on their head in the past year, so this week, we want to know whether you're on a fix or standard variable tariff. Let us know in this week's poll. 

Click here to vote in the poll

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below.
If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.
Thanks! 

Comments

• HeyerFan
    HeyerFan Posts: 957 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Hung up my suit!
    Options
    There is no way I can move to a fixed deal yet. AVRO ceased to trade as I was in the process of moving to them last Sep and Octopus say they haven’t yet had a final bill (though I’ve told them countless times that I never had a first bill and I’ve provided my final bill from the previous supplier). Finally have all but my first AVRO payment credited to Octopus but boy it’s taking a long time.
  • cardriver98
    cardriver98 Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Martin is never mentioning VARIABLE DIRECT DEBIT.  is there a good reason ?????
    It means you pay the actual cost of your monthly bill, not letting these firms hang on to your hard earned money.  I find it a good way to be really mean with my usage. 
  • dreamon100
    dreamon100 Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    I’m on a fixed deal with EDF which runs out in November 2022.
    When should I be looking to fix a new deal?
  • al4x
    al4x Posts: 76 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fortunately I'm good with maths and finance. I put a good chunk of time in working out what to do when my old supplier (green) went bust. 
    To me it looked like prices were only going one way. 

So I went against MSE advice and fixed. My friends mostly thought I was mad. But I stuck to my decision. 

I fixed for 3 years with Scottish Power and got 150 cash back. 

Until September 2024 in paying

5p a unit, 25p standing for gas
    21p a unit 23p standing for electricity

Needless to say I'm very happy with my decision. 

But never did I think the war was going to happen and prices would rise so quickly. 

• Watermarc
    Options
    My previous fix ended in Oct 2021, before prices went REALLY crazy. I usually just fix for a year and then compare, but this time I fixed with Ovo for 2 years, not for any reason except they offered me a free smart thermostat if I did 2 years instead of 1. So glad I did now, I was so lucky. Fingers crossed the market will have sorted itself out by Oct 2023.

The only downside? I want to move house soon but then I'll lose my fix!!

Looking at the poll results, it seems a lot of MoneySavers fixed long term last year - pats on the back all around!
  • lolcaz
    lolcaz Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Martin is never mentioning VARIABLE DIRECT DEBIT.  is there a good reason ?????
    It means you pay the actual cost of your monthly bill, not letting these firms hang on to your hard earned money.  I find it a good way to be really mean with my usage. 

The reason is that what you pay by direct debit each month isn't what they charge you per unit. What they charge you for what you use and how you choose to pay that are two unrelated things.
  • lolcaz
    lolcaz Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fixed mine in late September. 5p/kWh at night, 15.9p/kWh during the day, and 25p/day standing charge for electricity only. Bricking it for when my fix ends. Current prices on the same tariff are 7.5p/kWh night, 39.34p/kWh day, and 31.88p/day standing charge. Over double the cost and electricity only flats are already more expensive to run.
  • cmjmcm007
    Options
    I signed up to a Sainsburys Energy in late 10/2021 fixed for 2yrs. I only picked the 2yr fix because it offered me £60 nectar points and money was tight last Christmas. Thought at the very least I would be able to get another present with the extra £60. 
  • goldygash
    goldygash Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cmjmcm007 said:
    I signed up to a Sainsburys Energy in late 10/2021 fixed for 2yrs. I only picked the 2yr fix because it offered me £60 nectar points and money was tight last Christmas. Thought at the very least I would be able to get another present with the extra £60. 
    I am on the same deal. Let’s hope things are more stable when we need to sort the next one 😬
  • goldygash
    goldygash Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Managed to get my parents onto the BG Jul23v2 deal after their 1 year fix ended in April. Still a good chunk more per month, but against the ‘estimated’ Oct SVT it will be a saving. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback