Failed inverter experiences?

As my inverter failed in Friday morning with 'Residual I High', which loosely translates to leakage current too high.

I'm wondering how long it's likely to take to get back up and running?

Those who have had a failed inverter, did you have to wait for a manufacturer warranty repair/replacement or did the installer simply swap it out for you?

I undertand everyone's experience will be different but wondered if there was a happy median. 
4.29kWp Solar system, 45/55 South/West split in cloudy rainy Cumbria. 

Comments

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Mine died 6 months out of its warranty.  Given that the warranty was five and a half years, I get the feeling that the manufacturer knew exactly how long it was going to last.

I ended up with a new, and much better one.  It's internet enabled, so I can see what it's doing, and it seems to cope better with overcast days.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Spies
    Spies Posts: 2,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    It's been suggested that I have a Solax in its place but annoyingly I can't get the data from the Solax into the apps I want!

First World problems  :D
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Spies said:
    Those who have had a failed inverter, did you have to wait for a manufacturer warranty repair/replacement or did the installer simply swap it out for you?
    Given that yours isn't yet eight months old, I would hope your installer will do a swap PDQ and chase up the importer / manufacturer themselves.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Alnat1
    Alnat1 Posts: 3,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Did your installer give a guarantee with his quote? Ours has 2 years for parts and installation faults. Says they will replace any faulty equipment themselves and claim from the manufacturers on our behalf.
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Solar PV 5.25kWp SW facing (14 x 375 Longi) Lux 3.6kw hybrid inverter and 4.8kw Pylontech battery storage installed March 22
    Octopus Agile/Fixed Outgoing and Tracker gas
  • ispookie666
    ispookie666 Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    My inverter (not solar) lasted less than two weeks, the main PCB was fried. Givenergy and My installer were very slow to acknowledge,  and was passed from one to the other. I did get it fixed just over 6wks from installation date. 

Lack of replacement units was cited along with "it'll be manufacturer's warranty" was what I got from the installer.  Things started to move quickly once I sent a formal letter for redressal citing consumer protection law 2015.
    “Don't raise your voice, improve your argument." - Desmond Tutu

System 1 - 14 x 250W SunModule SW + Enphase ME215 microinverters (July 2015)
    System 2 - 20 x 330W Jinko Panels + Enphase IQ7+ microinverters (Jan 2022) + Givenergy AC Coupled inverter + 2 * 8.2KWh Battery (May 2022) + Mitsubishi 7.1 KW and 2* Daikin 2.5 KW A2A Heat Pump
  • Screwdriva
    Screwdriva Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 12 July 2022 at 3:39PM
    This is unfortunate. Really sorry to hear. 

I went with (and always recommend only) the SolarEdge inverter with the 25 year warranty covered by the company. Far from perfect but they are the most pragmatic blend of efficiency, customer support and performance. 

My installer currently offers these paired with SE Optimizers and Sharp 400W all black panels for ~£5700, which I believe offers the best bang for the buck! 
    -  10 x 400w LG + 6 x 550W SHARP BiFacial Panels + SE 3680 HD Wave Inverter + SE Optimizers. SE London.
    -  Triple aspect. (22% ENE/ 33% SSE/ 45% WSW)
    -  Viessmann 200-W on Advanced Weather Comp. (the most efficient gas boiler sold)

Feel free to DM me if I can help with any energy saving!
  • Spies
    Spies Posts: 2,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    QrizB said:
    Spies said:
    Given that yours isn't yet eight months old, I would hope your installer will do a swap PDQ and chase up the importer / manufacturer themselves.
    He did do this, but made out like it was coming out of his own pocket and he would have to do an RMA and hope they replace it.

I mean the fact the replacement is working (although a different brand) shows there wasn't really a current leakage right?
  • 94JDH
    94JDH Posts: 143 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    My inverter (not solar) lasted less than two weeks, the main PCB was fried. Givenergy and My installer were very slow to acknowledge,  and was passed from one to the other. I did get it fixed just over 6wks from installation date. 

Lack of replacement units was cited along with "it'll be manufacturer's warranty" was what I got from the installer.  Things started to move quickly once I sent a formal letter for redressal citing consumer protection law 2015.
    Out of interest, did you get to the bottom of who's fault it was - installer or equipment?
    18 x 390W (7.02kW) East/West split over two flat roof areas at 10 degrees inclination.
  • ispookie666
    ispookie666 Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Not really. The installer will be out later in the month to sort out the earthing. I do not think lack of earthing cased the inverter board to fry. This seem to be a frequent occurrence
    “Don't raise your voice, improve your argument." - Desmond Tutu

System 1 - 14 x 250W SunModule SW + Enphase ME215 microinverters (July 2015)
    System 2 - 20 x 330W Jinko Panels + Enphase IQ7+ microinverters (Jan 2022) + Givenergy AC Coupled inverter + 2 * 8.2KWh Battery (May 2022) + Mitsubishi 7.1 KW and 2* Daikin 2.5 KW A2A Heat Pump
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback