PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Ground rent ban on new leases takes effect TODAY – what you need to know

MSE_Kit
MSE_Kit Posts: 86 MSE Staff
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
edited 30 June 2022 at 9:17AM in House buying, renting & selling
Homebuyers who purchase a new leasehold property will no longer have to pay ground rent from today, as long-awaited legislation kicks in. The move could result in savings of £100s a year for homeowners – though new and existing leaseholders still need to beware the dangers of a short lease, as we explain in our news story.

Read the full story:

'Ground rent ban on new leases takes effect TODAY'

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,793 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper

I know the Government also use the word 'banned' in their press releases, but is it not the case that ground rents for new residential leases are being restricted to no more than one peppercorn per year?

Therefore these ground rents won't be 'banned', they are just limited to a maximum notional value.

The use of the word 'banned' could lead to confusion with people seeing clauses in new leases referring to ground rents of one peppercorn and thinking the lease is 'illegal'.  It would be useful if MSE could explain that a bit better.

For anyone who feels this is nothing but pedantry, it isn't.  The Act defines “peppercorn rent” as "an annual rent of one peppercorn".  There is nothing preventing Parliament redefining “peppercorn rent” for the purposes of the Act as any other sum of money (which could be greater or less than one peppercorn).

Therefore the statement "The new law guarantees that if you buy a leasehold property which has a new lease – ... – you'll never have to pay any ground rent." isn't accurate.

At the discretion of the freeholder the annual ground rent charged could be the value of one peppercorn, and at the discretion of Parliament that amount could increase to anything they wish.  "Never" is a very long time in terms of leaseholds.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Also, what does "taking effect from today" mean? I'm guessing if you're already in a contract then the agreed terms of a new lease will still apply, even if completion is still to come?
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,760 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    user1977 said:
    Also, what does "taking effect from today" mean? I'm guessing if you're already in a contract then the agreed terms of a new lease will still apply, even if completion is still to come?
    We have a case, pre-exchange, where the reservation is being amended today to remove the ground rent.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,431 Forumite

It will be interesting to see who ends up owning the freeholds, if they generate no ground rent from the leases.

Up until now, Investment Funds, Pension Funds etc often buy large freeholds, and small investors buy smaller freeholds - to get the ground rent income. It's a very low risk investment for them.

If the freeholds now generate no income, maybe developers will 'give away' the freeholds to the leaseholders - which is perhaps a good thing.

Or maybe they'll be put up for sale for 'peanuts', which might attract the wrong kind of buyer - people who see an opportunity to make a few quid by charging inflated service charges, earning high commission on buildings insurance, etc.

• user1977
    user1977 said:
    We have a case, pre-exchange, where the reservation is being amended today to remove the ground rent.
    Yes, I wouldn't expect a mere reservation to be fixing anything about the form of deed to be granted.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,517 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    eddddy said:

It will be interesting to see who ends up owning the freeholds, if they generate no ground rent from the leases.

Up until now, Investment Funds, Pension Funds etc often buy large freeholds, and small investors buy smaller freeholds - to get the ground rent income. It's a very low risk investment for them.

If the freeholds now generate no income, maybe developers will 'give away' the freeholds to the leaseholders - which is perhaps a good thing.

Or maybe they'll be put up for sale for 'peanuts', which might attract the wrong kind of buyer - people who see an opportunity to make a few quid by charging inflated service charges, earning high commission on buildings insurance, etc.

The price of the property will be increased to reflect there is no ongoing and increasing ground rent income and as you note there may be value in the service charge elements of the lease.
  • mojo293
    mojo293 Posts: 82 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 June 2022 at 12:06PM
    So to be clear, is this change only applicable to brand new leases being started on new build properties from today?

i.e. I am currently in the process of buying a 6 year old house with an existing leasehold with 147 years remaining and a current GR of £205/pa (reviewed every 15 years to follow RPI, so next review not until 2029). So this change won't really affect me and my purchase?

As it goes, I will be looking to purchase the freehold if I can and it's a reasonable cost (Vendors were quoted circa £2000 when the enquired), mainly to remove the risk of it being sold on to another 3rd party who may decide to change the lease and inflate the ground rent costs.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    mojo293 said:
    So to be clear, is this change only applicable to brand new leases being started on new build properties from today?

i.e. I am currently in the process of buying a 6 year old house with an existing leasehold with 147 years remaining and a current GR of £205/pa (reviewed every 15 years to follow RPI, so next review not until 2029). So this change won't really affect me and my purchase?

As it goes, I will be looking to purchase the freehold if I can and it's a reasonable cost (Vendors were quoted circa £2000 when the enquired), mainly to remove the risk of it being sold on to another 3rd party who may decide to change the lease and inflate the ground rent costs.
    Your ground rent cannot be unilaterally increased, and the new legislation won't change your existing lease.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • user1977
    mojo293 said:

New leases, yes. Doesn't matter whether it's a newbuild property or not, though obviously the vast majority would be.
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,793 Forumite
    eddddy said:

Might be attractive to condiment wholesalers with the number of peppercorns owed to them on a large portfolio.

The one inevitable will be an unintended consequence of some kind....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback