Council Tax Band Lowered

Hi, I successfully had my council tax band lowered following the guide thank you.

My band was revised from 2011, I have been living in the property since the 90's. I'm a single parent so received 25% single occupant discount for some of these years when my children were under 18.

I received a revised bill showing the overpayments, but I can't get my head around this part; they have adjusted the 25% discount but taken this from the overpayments owed to me. I have paid a higher rate of council tax, with 25% discount but now my band has been lowered they are taking back a proportion of the discount? I would still be entitled to the 25% off with the lower band surely?

If anyone could help that would be great thanks

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,641 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My first question would be why was the band reduction only backdated to 2011?

Without more detail of the exact period(s) you received the 25% discount, it will be difficult to usefully comment. Are you sure you were not in receipt of some income related CT reduction, which may not affect the amount you would have paid if you had been in the lower band from Day 1.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback