Steps after paying off mortgage

Hi
We would be paying off mortgage completely next month. Phew.
What would be next steps after it.
Are we to get any papers from the original conveyancing solicitors or from the bank(HSBC)?
Someone told me that title deeds are held by lenders while mortgage is going on and would be returned to us once payments completed.
Are these physical papers or only visible on land registry website?
Is there any role for the original conveyancing solicitors and do they needs to be informed?
Many Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You just pay the mortgage off, your lender will confirm and deeds will be on land registry.
  • YBR
    YBR Posts: 526
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    For me, the lender confirmed I'd paid it off and they removed the charge on the deeds with the land registry.
    That's all.

It's very unlikely that your paper deeds are of any significance as deeds are generally held electronically by the Land registry now. You can check that with the Land registry online.

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,834
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I've seen too many mistakes and ommissions with the Land Registry records to be comfortable relying on just their records. If you receive any paper deeds back from your mortgage company, keep them safe!

I would also recommend thinking about what you do with the extra money you will have each month. It would be sensible to review your pension provision, including getting a forecast of your State Retirement Pension. Saving some money for treats, such as holidays would also be a good use of any money that is 'spare'. 

Well done!
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback