PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Greater protection against rent hikes and abolition of 'no fault' evictions announced by Government

Options
Renters will be given the ability to challenge landlords over poor practices and unreasonable rent rises, the Government announced today (Thursday 16 June). The changes form part of a sweeping package of reforms designed to give greater rights to private renters.

Read the full story:

'Greater protection against rent hikes and abolition of 'no fault' evictions announced by Government - here's what you need to know'

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• canaldumidi
    canaldumidi Posts: 3,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Still lots of unknowns in this, plus of course changes might happen as it passes through parliament.
  • diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Sorry MSE I started a thread about this as I was not aware of this thread. I was direct to Scotland and their rental laws.
    Having read the Scots laws, my dream of being a LL is not worth it as T's have too many rights already and when some of them trash property, not pay rent etc get away with it. Rightly so bad LL's should be punished but so should T's.
    I can see rents shooting.

It will happen, it's only a matter of time.
  • longjohnjohnson
    Options
    This will just push more LLs out of the market  , increase rent for those who remain and generally have the reverse effect of what was intended.
  • MaryNB
    MaryNB Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I had an LA who would issue an S21 near the end of a fixed term just in case any of the tenants in our building (the LA managed all 50 or so flats in the building) refused to sign up for another 12 months. We received it as standard just before renewal with a note "please ignore this email if you have already renewed". I'm glad there's a new law being brought in to prevent this. Tenants shouldn't feel forced to moved out if they can't guarantee they won't need to move in 12 months. It was very stressful to deal with. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback