Should I give my bank details?

Options
I received an email to say I am one of the 50 winners of this competition, https://www.mirror.co.uk/play/competitions/win-200-towards-your-household-26814858.  As per the terms and conditions they want my bank details, name, account number and sort code. I really done want to be scammed and cant see why there would be a problem emailing these details.  Please can you confirm this is correct. Thank you in advance Judith 
2008£3002009£13002010£15002011£41952012£21942013£1494
2014£24402015£10222016JAN£20FEB£210MAR£80APR£26tMAYWillowPouchBag£65BathPillowCrCardcover,Curry
JUN£10m'shakeJULpennywellAUGCameraFootproducts£27SEPMiniBBQOCTB'let£45Jarm£4Jacket£80GoodyBag£40NOVmealfor2Ace,ScarfTotes£100DECChocs,AsterixDVD,DVD&bk

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I have a friend who works in banking.
    They have told me previously that there is no harm in giving banking details like these.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you are really old you may be able to remember when that sort of information was on pieces of paper that were called cheques - Sun group also ask for the same info.
  • ellenvan
    ellenvan Posts: 173 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you just email them account number and sort code , you are only giving out the info that would be on a cheque. So no harm in that,
  • pate-ci0
    pate-ci0 Posts: 2,589 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Congrats! I also have won on one of the days and similarly to some previous competitions, I have no problem sending just that information in that only payments INTO the account can be made; access to the account itself is not possible with just that info. However, always make sure that the security information you have on accounts is complex and unique and never disclose that information to anyone.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback