advice needed

harrys_nan
harrys_nan Posts: 1,777 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
edited 9 June 2022 at 7:51PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
I'm lucky enough to be going on a cruise from Banff to Alaska. 
This is a one-off holiday.
I have never dressed up since putting on weight and live in jeans/ trousers. We want to do the fine dining at least twice and I haven't a clue what to wear up. I have been looking at dresses but am struggling to find knee-length ones.  I cannot wear heels owing to mobility problems.
I'm a size 16 and apple shape and 76. Has anyone any suggestions?
Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted

Comments

• otb666
    otb666 Posts: 716 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    35k savings no debt
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,385 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    No affiliation, just an extremely satisfied customer:
    Not sure how moneysaving it is but I want to mention Carolina Dress Room, the sleeveless full circle dresses are the most dressy/elegant but a fair few patterns on the other styles are classy as well.  (They also do geeky and horror prints so don't be put off if a Google search doesn't immediately produce more neutral results!)

Their website tends only to show the most recent prints and styles, they don't carry back stock.  Unfortunately the best place to buy is in their Facebook group which doesn't suit everyone, but there are ones available on the usual sites as well. 
    [A word of caution, most people size down for CDR brand dresses because they are very generous, so 12-14 full circle would easily fit a size 16 person.]

They also did Miss Society and Hepburn dresses (more true to size) which were more formal but they are out of production so harder to find.

If you did decide to buy a couple and weren't sure you'd wear them again, they have very good resale value.
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,688 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    You do not have to wear a dress, you could wear trousers with dressy tops that you are more likely to wear again.
  • harrys_nan
    harrys_nan Posts: 1,777 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Not sure how moneysaving it is but I want to mention Carolina Dress Room, the sleeveless full circle dresses are the most dressy/elegant but a fair few patterns on the other styles are classy as well.  (They also do geeky and horror prints so don't be put off if a Google search doesn't immediately produce more neutral results!)

Their website tends only to show the most recent prints and styles, they don't carry back stock.  Unfortunately the best place to buy is in their Facebook group which doesn't suit everyone, but there are ones available on the usual sites as well. 
    [A word of caution, most people size down for CDR brand dresses because they are very generous, so 12-14 full circle would easily fit a size 16 person.]

They also did Miss Society and Hepburn dresses (more true to size) which were more formal but they are out of production so harder to find.

If you did decide to buy a couple and weren't sure you'd wear them again, they have very good resale value.
    These are beautiful but I wouldn’t have the confidence to wear them. Thank you anyway 
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
    As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,143 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 12 June 2022 at 5:07PM
    Normally it's a case of subtracting 4 from the UK size to get to the US/Canadian size. 

Have you looked at Roman for dresses?

This could be dressed up and down, but they've got loads of options 

https://www.roman.co.uk/gathered-skirt-maxi-dress-14065080
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,385 Forumite

These are beautiful but I wouldn’t have the confidence to wear them. Thank you anyway 
    That's a shame, but you're definitely not alone.  If you are on Facebook, joining the group might help - there are ladies of all shapes, sizes and ages on there and many have had similar feelings.

[But I'm really not trying to push these dresses at all, just genuinely wanting to spread the joy and comfortable clothes!]
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,859 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker

That's an absolutely wonderful cruise - similar to the one my wife and I did for our Honeymoon.  You will absolutely love it.

As for the dressing up for the fine dining experiences on board, have you considered arranging a personal stylist session at John Lewis?  They might be more attuned to sense on budgets and providing items that you can dress up for the occasion or mix with other wardrobe pieces you likely have any way for less special occasions. 

We've never used the John Lewis personal stylist service but did once use the styling service at M&S which I think they have now stopped. For the M&S styling service, the lady hose some fairly plain items but then also some coordinated costume jewellery that made it all look so much more than it was.
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,143 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper

That's an absolutely wonderful cruise - similar to the one my wife and I did for our Honeymoon.  You will absolutely love it.

As for the dressing up for the fine dining experiences on board, have you considered arranging a personal stylist session at John Lewis?  They might be more attuned to sense on budgets and providing items that you can dress up for the occasion or mix with other wardrobe pieces you likely have any way for less special occasions. 

We've never used the John Lewis personal stylist service but did once use the styling service at M&S which I think they have now stopped. For the M&S styling service, the lady hose some fairly plain items but then also some coordinated costume jewellery that made it all look so much more than it was.
    I've used the JL personal styling service, at the Oxford Street Branch, and I'd recommend it.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,230 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I've used them in Liverpool and my ex-husband used their Trafford Centre branch.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Longwalker
    Longwalker Posts: 909 Forumite
    Im a bit younger but have the same body shape as yourself and like you live in jeans etc

Im really short as well at just over the 5ft mark so look like a ball on legs :)

My go to for occasions are Palazzo trousers, a vest top and a kimono . Dress up or down, a wee pair of wedges to give a bit of height, some bling around the neck and on the ears.

For big occasions I tend to go for a big statement neckless - eyes are directed at that - not the belly,

Kimonos are all different lengths, Im not talking about replacement dressing gowns, more like edge to edge jackets in lovely flowing materials with not so ridged hemlines 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback