The Foodbank Donation Thread

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,498 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just seen this article promoted on MSE - 'coupon fairies' are people who donate coupons they can't use, or leave them on the shop shelf next to the article the coupon is for.

It occurred to me that this might be something people could do if they have a voucher they can't use: it's not food bank but it might help someone. It might also be worth checking if your local foodbank can use any, as they will have to buy in some items so a couple of pounds off a larger spend might stretch their funds.
    I have a few times simply left the coupons in the collection box at the supermarkets - seems an easy a way to deal with things if you're pushed for time.  When it's one of the "get this free" vouchers I do tend to just use it and put the item in the box instead - but even then there's often a choice so maybe just leaving the voucher is better.  I random get these for various feminine & bladder control products for some reason.  and I know from our FB that they may have tons of tampons but no pads or vice versa.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • MSE_Laura_F
    MSE_Laura_F Posts: 1,572 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello lovely folks,

I spotted a toy donation box in my local Lidl. Anyone seem similar in other supermarkets? Thanks.

• Brie
    Options
    Hello lovely folks,

I spotted a toy donation box in my local Lidl. Anyone seem similar in other supermarkets? Thanks.

Only at Lidl but it's my main shopping spot along with a local Tesco.  

Meanwhile at our foodbank - the place was abuzz this morning as we had a team from JPMorgan helping do Christmas prep.  Lugging the big holiday hunger bags (everything for Christmas day) up to the choir loft (we're in an old chapel, unheated of course....brrrrr).  Packing treat bags (desserts & chocolates mostly) and making presents - lots of companies have donated various toiletries  - luxury hemp oil face masks, loads of BodyShop body wash, bath bombs - now all bagged up with a ribbon ready for distribution.  I had spotted that Tesco had a clubcard deal for sauce mixes and as we'd run out of bread sauce I picked up 20 packs which by using the deal and my vouchers only cost me about £3 instead of £25.  I hope everyone likes bread sauce as it's being included in all the hunger bags - I do but it may not be to everyone's taste.

Lots of school kids came in yesterday with a couple of big boxes of goodies and to see how the place works - which is great.  Things are getting quieter now for those of us that do debt/budget advice but I'm sure we'll make up for that in January when we all realise how expensive a year it's been.  

And I can't even get upset about those donors who have given lots of things that have alcohol in them.  The FB won't give them out as they have a no alcohol rule across the organisation.  They won't be wasted as the volunteers will divide things up and either pass them along to other organisations for their tombolas etc or will swap them for something that the FB can use.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,259 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Our L1dl has the toy donation boxes as well - great idea.

Brie, bread sauce is a staple here!
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,722 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I did my first December deliveries today and good to see that so many advent calendars had been donated and were being included in all the bags. Also had to deliver some cat litter - never realised it was so heavy!!
  • bettyboo71
    Options
    Just adding this here now because this is linked to the weekly email.

If you can't find a Trussell Truste foodbank in your area, try the IFAN (Independent Food Aid Network) as they have a map of independent food aid providers,

A slightly cheeky thing that I do, but one most MSE fans will appreciate, is that I will apply for free samples of products from big companies like Whiskas, and give these to the local foodbank.  It doesn't cost you anything, but it is always of use to someone.

• Brie
    Options
    Just adding this here now because this is linked to the weekly email.

If you can't find a Trussell Truste foodbank in your area, try the IFAN (Independent Food Aid Network) as they have a map of independent food aid providers,

A slightly cheeky thing that I do, but one most MSE fans will appreciate, is that I will apply for free samples of products from big companies like Whiskas, and give these to the local foodbank.  It doesn't cost you anything, but it is always of use to someone.

Look out for the BOGOFs too.  You might only need one bottle of mayo - but if you get 2 for the same price the spare can go in the collection bin by the doors. 

Surprisingly - I was in a Sainsburys years back and they had something I wanted for £1.50 (or whatever) and as an alternative I could get 2 for £1.20.  A staff member was walking by and I asked if the sign was correct.  She rolled her eyes and said "yeah, managers! What are they like?" 

I nabbed my two and was about to walk on when someone came by and grabbed one.  I pointed out that it was cheaper to get 2 and again had the rolling of eyes.  "as if!!"   what a complete toad!!!  Served them right to pay too much!!
  • Brie
    Options
    Hope everyone has been having a delightful Christmas and looking forward to an even nicer New Year.

Before you make all those resolutions for 2024 don't forget to have a look around the kitchen at all the things you bought for the festivities that didn't get used up. 

Those that have short dates on them might happily be passed along via Olio or a Community Fridge. 

Those with longer dates can be passed along to your local food bank.  If you can't find the actual food bank you might want to bag things up securely and take them the next time you go grocery shopping where there is inevitably a drop off point.  If in doubt point out what you are bringing IN to the shop to security so that there's no doubt that you're not trying to pull a fast one!!!

And if you are doing a diet January or Veganary or Dryanary (or whatever it's called!!) maybe you can think about what money you are saving and set that aside for the food bank as well.  Either buying all your regular jams and chocolates and putting them in the collection spots rather than taking them home or finding a food bank website where they're likely to have instructions on how to transfer cash directly to their account so they can buy what is most urgently needed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback