Found £20 near till at Tesco

I found £20 on the floor at the self-checkout till at my local Tesco. I handed it to customer services. If no one claims it, is it mine to claim?

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,982 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I would say yes but Tesco may decide that it's better to put it into a charity pot, buy things for the local food bank.  If it was me I would be happy with those alternatives.  I'd be less happy if someone (working there) simply decided it was theirs because they could identify it as being marked as a £20 note.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    What did Customer Services say when you handed it in?

If you found it outside in the street and handed it to the police then yes it would become yours if unclaimed. On private property I think it belongs to Tesco.

When I found some money in a supermarket (I think it was ASDA) they said they would hold it for I think two weeks then if unclaimed would donate it to their community charity.
    That seemed fair enough to me - it certainly wasn't mine.
  • Skiddaw1
    Skiddaw1 Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I found (and handed in) a £20 note near a self-checkout till in a branch of M&S a few years back. Their customer services dept contacted me two weeks later to the effect that as no-one had come forward, it was mine. I donated it to a charity.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,405 Forumite
    I found £20 on the floor at the self-checkout till at my local Tesco. I handed it to customer services. If no one claims it, is it mine to claim?
    Did they take your details?
    Life in the slow lane
  • clearancer
    clearancer Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Did they take your details?
    Yes. They took my name and phone number
  • Nice one handing it in. Ideally, if nobody collects this within 30 days or so, they should update you and arrange a collection.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 8 June 2022 at 9:04PM
    When I handed a £10 note to Sainsbury's customer services I was asked what I wanted to do if it wasn't claimed within 2 weeks - collect it for myself, or donate it to charity.  Opted for the charity donation.  Standard procedure, by the sounds of it.
  • DB1904
    DB1904 Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    Nice one handing it in. Ideally, if nobody collects this within 30 days or so, they should update you and arrange a collection.
    Or however long Tesco think is reasonable. 
  • in_my_wellies
    in_my_wellies Posts: 1,647 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I found a handbag near a hospital carpark late at night. I took it to a police car which was waiting in the carpark. Six months later they contacted me as it hadn't been claimed
    I looked inside and found 4 types of ID (a letter, old style driving licence, work photo ID and an invoice) It took me about two minutes to find the owner who was surprised and thankful
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Which branch - just so I know to pop along and claim it.  Joking btw.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback