2»

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,702 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    katepower said:
    katepower said:

Out of interest - will she end up having to pay the CT? She's a bit of a slippery character and always seems to escape the consequences of her decisions. 
    If she was the liable occupier at the time then she has to pay. Councils and bailiffs are well used to "slippery characters" and tend to see through lies and deceitfulness. 
    Just had a brief chat with her about it. She's adamant that because she had suspended her student status for a year, she shouldnt have to pay council tax because she was still technically a student. I've tried explaining it to her but no joy. Not my problem anymore!
    Let her argue that one with the council/bailiffs.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 June 2022 at 11:45AM
    Options
    katepower said:

Out of interest - will she end up having to pay the CT? She's a bit of a slippery character and always seems to escape the consequences of her decisions. 
    There are lots of these sorts of people in the world. They always think they can get away with not paying their taxes, not paying debts and generally get what they want by arguing the toss. The sorts of people who complain about the food in McDonalds to get a free Big Mac.

Often these people are correct and get away with it. But sometimes it comes back to bite them in the bum. Badly.

CT is a classic example. Councils pursue unpaid CT aggressively and will quickly move to CCJs, Bailiffs and added debt collection costs if your ex-flatmate does not play ball. There are lots of people out there who think they can get away with arguing the toss and end up having to pay a lot more than if they had just paid up in the first place - not to mention having a CCJ on their credit report. 

The .gov.uk website makes it clear that you only get the exemption if you are a "full time" student, so I doubt she can get the exemption if she had suspended her student status. 

As you say - not your problem.
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MalMonroe said:
    But that debt is not yours and has nothing whatsoever to do with you. I agree with RAS, above, you should keep on at the council until they take action. You could also tell them that you are seriously considering suing them for harassment. 
    Oh please, don't be ridiculous.

The council has contacted the OP directly once. It is frankly laughable that you tell the OP to 'keep on at the council until they take action' while simultaneously suggesting that the council would be the ones harrassing.

Creditors are entitled to ask about alleged debt, it isn't automatically harrassment.
    MalMonroe said:
     You could also tell them that you are seriously considering suing them for harassment. 
    Good luck with that one!
    Know what you don't
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport