Overdales – Notice of Acting [Lowell]

Options
In 2021 at a previous address nPower sneakily added the previous occupiers energy bills onto my account. After some lengthy calls and raising a complaint I was assured the account had been rectified and I had no more bills to pay. I received a letter saying my complaint had been resolved (it did not state what the complaint had been about). I then moved over to Octopus Energy. Some time after that I got a letter from Lowell telling me they'd bought my £227 debt from nPower. I called nPower but they had gone bust and had been replaced by EON Energy who knew nothing.

I then explained to Lowell this was not my debt and why and they agreed to chase it up with EON. I later moved home and heard nothing for some time, then recently I received a 'Notice of Acting' letter from Overdales Solicitors at my new address. My name was very slightly incorrect on the address but close enough and they say they are instructed to issue a County Court Claim against me.

This was not my debt, both nPower and EON have been in the wrong but all I have is a 'Complaint Resolved' letter. I don't want to pay this but would it go on my credit rating, what would happen if I refuse? I don't think I can prove it.

Comments

• MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It is not down to you to prove anything. Send them a 'prove it' letter in the first instance.  The complaint resolved letter would have some reference / case number that you can ask them to refer to.  Other than that, if you can evidence when you took up residency at that address, that also supports your case.   
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,959 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Overdales are Lowell's tame solicitors, send a "provit letter", they have to prove your liable, you don`t have to prove anything.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback