We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Mental Health and Debt

Desperadoo
Desperadoo Posts: 98 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
edited 28 May 2022 at 11:13AM in Debt-free wannabe
I have suffered from mental health problems for about 40 years including suicdal attempts and 2 spells in hospital....last one was about 12 years ago for 7 months. I had numberous counselling over the years and support workers to help me in the past. My mental health definetly effects my spending then the worry about what I have spent effects my mental health....you get the picture ? 

After being on medication for about 30+ years I came off them all a number of years ago . life was goof and when I have a bad " episode of depression " I just fight my way through it without meds or medical help. 2 creditors when talking to them this week asked about my health and i told them but when they asked about medication I was honest and told them I no longer take any .  Will this make them think I dont actually have mental health problems at all ?  I just dont want to get back into popping pills again as for so many years I really could not funtion witout them. 

thanks for reading 
June grocery challenge £164 /£460...
week 1  £87/£115 
Week 2 £77/£115

My Debt Free Diary >>>>>https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6360269/desperate-to-sort-my-life-for-last-time

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 29,795 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture Debt-free and Proud! Post of the Month PPI Party Pooper
    edited 28 May 2022 at 11:19AM
    We always advise on this forum to never discuss personal details over a landline, your words can get twisted, they can be taken out of context, you can forget things, say the wrong thing, forget an important point, get tongue tied, the list goes on.

Anything concerned with a legal or health issue, should be set down in writing only, that way you can take your time, there`s no pressure, you can make sure you get your message across clearly and in a concise manner.

Speaking to them on the phone will not have hurt your case, but ideally it should be backed up in writing conforming what you have told them, you can also add more background if you wish, but best to stick to just the facts.

That`s the correct way to go about this, these people are not your friends, or family, they are a business, and all decisions will be made on health and commercial grounds, so its best to deal with them in a professional way.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Desperadoo
    Desperadoo Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    We always advise on this forum to never discuss personal details over a landline, your words can get twisted, they can be taken out of context, you can forget things, say the wrong thing, forget an important point, get tongue tied, the list goes on.

Anything concerned with a legal or health issue, should be set down in writing only, that way you can take your time, there`s no pressure, you can make sure you get your message across clearly and in a concise manner.

Speaking to them on the phone will not have hurt your case, but ideally it should be backed up in writing conforming what you have told them, you can also add more background if you wish, but best to stick to just the facts.

That`s the correct way to go about this, these people are not your friends, or family, they are a business, and all decisions will be made on health and commercial grounds, so its best to deal with them in a professional way.
    Thank you as always 
    June grocery challenge £164 /£460...
    week 1  £87/£115 
    Week 2 £77/£115

My Debt Free Diary >>>>>https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6360269/desperate-to-sort-my-life-for-last-time
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.