Boots and Co-op hike meal deal prices

Options
Boots has upped costs from £3.39 to £3.59, and from £3.99 to £4.19 in its London shops, while Co-op's meal deal has jumped from £3.50 to £3.75. 

Read the full story:

Boots and Co-op hike meal deal prices

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There are plenty of combinations in my local Co-op that are cheaper than getting the meal deal, unless you really want a particularly expensive sandwich and/or drink. The cheese and tuna sandwiches can be £1.25 and plenty of the drinks and snacks are £1 or less, so not getting close to the £3.75 deal price. 
  • olgadapolga
    olgadapolga Posts: 2,273 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Morrisons have increased their in store meal deal price to £3.50 as well. They now offer a "premium" deal for £4 as an alternative. Although the online price still states £3 until the end of the year.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Stuart_W said:
    There are plenty of combinations in my local Co-op that are cheaper than getting the meal deal, unless you really want a particularly expensive sandwich and/or drink. The cheese and tuna sandwiches can be £1.25 and plenty of the drinks and snacks are £1 or less, so not getting close to the £3.75 deal price. 

Some of the snacks at co-op such as a Ginsters pasty can actually be a second meal as well if you want one of the more expensive sandwiches.
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just to update this thread, from this week, Co op deal price has become £4! 
  • jon81uk
    Options
    Stuart_W said:
    Just to update this thread, from this week, Co op deal price has become £4! 
    Ouch! I’d rather they just removed the more expensive snacks.
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Meal deals are never good value. People will always cite convenience and they are paying for it dearly.

If people know they are going to be hungry at l/t its much better to spend 5 minutes making a sandwich or whatever before setting out to work. Or just wait until the end of the day to eat whatever you fancy.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • jon81uk
    Options
    Meal deals are never good value. People will always cite convenience and they are paying for it dearly.

If people know they are going to be hungry at l/t its much better to spend 5 minutes making a sandwich or whatever before setting out to work. Or just wait until the end of the day to eat whatever you fancy.
    Although as you say making your own will almost always be cheaper, I disagree in general, as the Tesco meal deal does offer good value if you don't want a really simple sandwich.
    For example if I wanted ham and cheese and some water, plus some standard crisps I could make that for sure at home.
    But at Tesco I bought a sausage, bacon and egg sandwich, that would require quite a bit of effort to cook eggs, sausage and bacon, slice them all and put into a sandwich. Not sure I could do that myself as cheaply without eating the same sandwich every day for at least a week! Plus in the meal deal you can get a juice or smoothie and a decent snack like a scotch egg, or caramel shortcake bar. For £3 it is good value for the time and effort it would take to make a similar sandwich.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 May 2022 at 12:37PM
    Options
    If I treat myself to a meal deal from Tesco I make sure I buy the most expensive items! So yummy fully packed sandwiches and a Naked smoothie which on it's own retails at £2.
     Last time the meal deal was on a Clubcard deal for £3 but I don't know if that still applies. I don't shop there that often.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback