Split Ticketing

Looking at split Ticketing and notice that different seat numbers appear at different points on journey ie Same train but different seat numbers from various station to station.
Obvious question is do I physically have to change seats or remain in first seat allocated at point of departure . 
Keep in your thoughts the poor Beasts of burden around the World and curse All who do them harm.

Replies

• edited 20 May at 3:49PM
    JGB1955JGB1955 Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 20 May at 3:49PM
    You have to change seats (although MAY be able to stay where you are if nobody else has booked the seat, or doesn't turn up).
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2022 - £1 a day challenge £700/£730
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2021 - £1 a day challenge £828/£638.
    #36 Saving for Christmas 2020 - £1 a day challenge.... £634/£366..
  • thebullsbackthebullsback Forumite
    533 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
     Thank you for reply JGB  much appreciated 
    Keep in your thoughts the poor Beasts of burden around the World and curse All who do them harm.
  • BrieBrie Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    the fact that you've been given different seat numbers implies that someone else has that seat allocated already for certain bits of your journey.  I'd stay put until asked to move and do so politely but also knowing that you may then need to ask someone to move.  

More crucial is it the same train or do you need to switch?
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • jbuchanangbjbuchanangb Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I just booked some tickets with a change of seats on route. I think my strategy will be to look at the second set of seats when I board the train, and if available sit there, otherwise go to the booked first set. Having established there will stay put unless someone else shows up, in which case move to second set.
    I once travelled from Birmingham International to Wigan North Western using 3 tickets, the first of which from Birmingham International to Birmingham New Street provided me with a reserved seat on the train, which I then occupied all the way to Wigan.
  • martindowmartindow Forumite
    9.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Brie said:
    the fact that you've been given different seat numbers implies that someone else has that seat allocated already for certain bits of your journey.

I'm not sure that is the case.  I regularly buy split tickets for a GWR journey I take and invariably get different seats in different coaches even on a very quiet trains.  I think that the web site treats the two journeys entirely separately and books seats for each.  Booking sites don't seem sophisticated enough to realise that the journeys follow on from each other.
  • thebullsbackthebullsback Forumite
    533 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    problem we have is both elderly with slight mobility issues. Fortunately I asked the question before buying and we have now decided to pay an extra £27 for sake of booked seats for entire journey .
    If younger and fitter we would be split ticket devotees.
    Again thank you all for input .