Government gateway a nightmare

Options
I read Martins tips on checking NI contributions etc on a Pension post as I am already receiving my state pension so I followed the link for the Government Gateway . Whilst I appreciate the security , after jumping through every hoop going (I was waiting for them to ask my dress size), I could not proceed any further as I was asked for a date when i opened a credit card or a phone contract. I have had these so long it is impossible.So sorry Martin, nice idea but I cannot see how I can ever find anything out about this now. Anyone else had thees issues?

Comments

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,855 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
     Everyone it seems. There have been several posts today if you search. 

One poster commented that you can access your credit records for free from several places, ClearScore being one. That will have the dates of any credit agreements 
  • carh21
    carh21 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you Marcia. 
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I used to access the Government Gateway via the Post Office GOV.UK Verify service that stopped about a month ago. As a consequence I've had to go thru the whole credit check rigmarole too - failed at least twice before I got access as I had the same problems with Qs about bank account and credit card initial dates.
    What intrigued me tho' ,was that one of the alternatives was that they wanted details of my Irish Driving licence !!
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,907 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 May 2022 at 10:05AM
    Options
    I used to access the Government Gateway via the Post Office GOV.UK Verify service that stopped about a month ago. As a consequence I've had to go thru the whole credit check rigmarole too - failed at least twice before I got access as I had the same problems with Qs about bank account and credit card initial dates.
    What intrigued me tho' ,was that one of the alternatives was that they wanted details of my Irish Driving licence !!
    The Northern Ireland thing is mentioned in the article on the link below.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/apr/06/hm-revenues-id-rules-are-driving-me-back-to-pen-and-paper

Fortunately, I had access to both Government Gateway and Gov.Uk Verify at the point Gov.uk Verify was discontinued.

However, when I tried to access my self assessment page I was required to re-verify myself and sent down the route including the Norther Ireland passport option.

I too had issues but the problem was with the questions they asked. I had bank accounts that did appear on my credit report so I had to answer in accordance with my credit report, not my actual answers.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback