We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Alternative to spray foam?

Hi

So I've seen this 

https://www.mortgagestrategy.co.uk/news/spray-foam-insulation-leaves-250000-homes-in-mortgage-limbo/

So, I really wouldn't want any spray foam insulation. What's a better form of insulation? One that doesn't have other issues down the line? 
«1

Comments

  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 8,614 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    For most people, ordinary loft insulation on the floor of the loft.  There's no need for the spray stuff all over the inside of the roof.

    Lofts don't need to be warm, and they do need to be ventilated.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,895 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 15 May 2022 at 2:24PM
    As Ectophile says, cheapest and simplest is glass wool (or similar), supplied in rolls then laid flat in the loft space between and over the joists. This does make it difficult to use that space for anything else.
    PS @waqasahmed you've double-posted; you might like to delete the other copy of this thread.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • anon_ymous
    anon_ymous Posts: 2,041 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 15 May 2022 at 4:02PM
    QrizB said:
    As Ectophile says, cheapest and simplest is glass wool (or similar), supplied in rolls then laid flat in the loft space between and over the joists. This does make it difficult to use that space for anything else.
    PS @waqasahmed you've double-posted; you might like to delete the other copy of this thread.
    Not on purpose anyway. I can't even see your reply to that thread 

    How would we do it in such a way that you can still use said space?

    Also how about the roof itself? My parent's house has an attic, and there's a little bit above it that we don't use 
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,895 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    QrizB said:
    As Ectophile says, cheapest and simplest is glass wool (or similar), supplied in rolls then laid flat in the loft space between and over the joists. This does make it difficult to use that space for anything else.
    PS @waqasahmed you've double-posted; you might like to delete the other copy of this thread.
    Not on purpose anyway. I can't even see your reply to that thread
    Your other thread is here. I deleted my reply from that thread and re-posted in this one.
    How would we do it in such a way that you can still use said space?
    You can use loft legs, as illustrated in this article. This lets you board over insulation without compressing it (compressing it removes the air and makes it useless).
    Or you could use rigid insulating board instead, far more expensive but with a higher insulating value for a given thickness.
    Also how about the roof itself? My parent's house has an attic, and there's a little bit above it that we don't use 
    You'd normally only insulate the roof in order to provide a "warm loft", and you'd use those expensive rigid boards.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • anon_ymous
    anon_ymous Posts: 2,041 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    QrizB said:
    QrizB said:
    As Ectophile says, cheapest and simplest is glass wool (or similar), supplied in rolls then laid flat in the loft space between and over the joists. This does make it difficult to use that space for anything else.
    PS @waqasahmed you've double-posted; you might like to delete the other copy of this thread.
    Not on purpose anyway. I can't even see your reply to that thread
    Your other thread is here. I deleted my reply from that thread and re-posted in this one.
    How would we do it in such a way that you can still use said space?
    You can use loft legs, as illustrated in this article. This lets you board over insulation without compressing it (compressing it removes the air and makes it useless).
    Or you could use rigid insulating board instead, far more expensive but with a higher insulating value for a given thickness.
    Also how about the roof itself? My parent's house has an attic, and there's a little bit above it that we don't use 
    You'd normally only insulate the roof in order to provide a "warm loft", and you'd use those expensive rigid boards.
    Thanks for that. I can't delete that thread myself, and you can't add a note when reporting, so I've edited the OP to ask mods if they could merge it given someone else has replied there

    I'll have to have a look into that. Thanks 
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,343 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    QrizB said:
    Your other thread is here. I deleted my reply from that thread and re-posted in this one.
    Thanks for that. I can't delete that thread myself, and you can't add a note when reporting, so I've edited the OP to ask mods if they could merge it given someone else has replied there

    I'll have to have a look into that. Thanks 
    I believe you could change the title of the other thread - perhaps to include "Duplicate : please do not post"
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • I had problems with renewing my mortgage after having spray foam insulation installed around 5 years ago. I used a loft insulation company called Loft Insulation Specialists (I have linked their website) who removed the spray foam and installed a new insulation product called Superfoil. It lasts over 50 years and so far I have actually seen an improvement to how warm my house feels. I have also noticed a drop in my energy bills as I don't have to use the heating as much. I would definitely recommend looking at Superfoil insulation as an alternative.

  • Screwdriva
    Screwdriva Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I am always suspicious of first post recommendations on these forums and recommend caution.

    When it comes to loft insulation, Knauf 40 is my top pick. Needs to be ordered but has superior thermal properties compared to the Knauf 44 variant available in Selco/ B&Q etc.

    -  10 x 400w LG Bifacial + 6 x 550W SHARP BiFacial + 2 x 570W SHARP Bifacial + 5kW SolarEdge Inverter + SolarEdge Optimizers. SE London.

    -  Triple aspect: ENE (2.7 kWp), WSW (3.3 kWp), SSE (2.4 kWp)

    -  Viessmann 200-W on Advanced Weather Comp. (The most efficient gas boiler sold)

    Feel free to DM me for help with any form of energy saving! Happy to help! 
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,895 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 11 April at 4:38PM

    I'm also suspicious of new accounts giving unsolicited testiminials.

    A neighbour of mine is a keen DIYer and also a doctor of engineering. He's used something like Superfoil in his loft, suspended below the the rafters. So there might be a use for it.

    I will however note that a roll of Superfoil SF60 (R value: 3.42) is £290 from Screwfix (12 square metres of coverage, so £24/sq.m) while a roll of Knauf 44 (R value: 3.5) is £80 from Travis Perkins (9 square metres coverage, so £9/sq.m).

    Knauf 40 would be ~10% more insulating than Knauf 44 (0.040 and 0.044 are their respective thermal conductivities).

    There may well be a time and place for Superfoil, but in general a mineral wool will be substantially more moneysaving.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • EcoScruples
    EcoScruples Posts: 434 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    fibre wool insulation would always be my recommendation as it allows the loft space to stay ventilated.

    I’ve done a couple of house projects and always use the latest building regs for advice, a loft space is not suppose to kept the heat in, if it’s cold up there then that means the heat is being kept in your house. The only thing I didn’t insulate under was my water storage tanks so they kept some heat under them through the winter to avoid freezing (and insulated them on the sidles and top).

    4.3kwp JA panels, Huawei 3.68kw Hybrid inverter, Huawei 10kw Lunar 2000 battery, Myenergi eddi, South facing array with a 15 degree roof pitch, winter shade.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.