Link Financial

Options
Hello, I've been discussing my credit accounts that Link Financial have for me, I called in relation to my discharge from bankruptcy and asked for information on their data controller to update the accounts on my report.

I was flabbergasted when they told me it stays as default which is correct, but they told me the balance stays until the default runs the 6 year course and they just don't ask for any money... I know that's incorrect for them to say that, has anyone any advice

Comments

• Chrome020
    Chrome020 Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    https://ico.org.uk/ESDWebPages/Entry/Z2016543
    Is anyone able to confirm if this is the correct Information for them? The ico website lists a few Link Financial companies.
    Also if I send a letter direct to their data controller, how should I proceed? They have 5 accounts for me would I need to do 5 separate letters?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 14 May 2022 at 11:00AM
    Options
    Any qualifying debt vested in your bankruptcy, on discharge, should show as defaulted, with a default date no later than the date you went bankrupt, it should show as a zero balance, and marked in such a way to show the debt is no longer owed, so settled, or satisfied will suffice.

Link are well aware of the rules, one letter, state the five account numbers, refer them to the guidance, ask them to sort it, or you will escalate to the ICO, who have the power to fine firms that are non compliant with guidance.

They have 8 weeks to put things right.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Chrome020
    Options
    Any qualifying debt vested in your bankruptcy, on discharge, should show as defaulted, with a default date no later than the date you went bankrupt, it should show as a zero balance, and marked in such a way to show the debt is no longer owed, so settled, or satisfied will suffice.

Link are well aware of the rules, one letter, state the five account numbers, refer them to the guidance, ask them to sort it, or you will escalate to the ICO, who have the power to fine firms that are non compliant with guidance.

They have 8 weeks to put things right.
    Thank you for the detailed reply, I have found a template letter on this forum and on DebtCamel which I will use and send it via recorded delivery.

I was shocked that was the advice from 3 people, call handler then apparently supervisor and manager...

• JonVarnas
    JonVarnas Posts: 229 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    That;s why you should never speak to debt collectors on the phone...they're full of crap :)
  • Chrome020
    Options
    JonVarnas said:
    That;s why you should never speak to debt collectors on the phone...they're full of crap :)
    Haha. I definitely won't consider it for the others that haven't updated my file yet.
  • Mckenna
    Mckenna Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Link are absolute rogues, sadly 2 of my accounts are with them. And they have continued to place defaults onto my credit file well beyond my bankruptcy (discharge in 3 months)
    they have said they are entitled to do so until discharge which makes no sense as they will have to remove them all back 12 months! 
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Mckenna said:
    Link are absolute rogues, sadly 2 of my accounts are with them. And they have continued to place defaults onto my credit file well beyond my bankruptcy (discharge in 3 months)
    they have said they are entitled to do so until discharge which makes no sense as they will have to remove them all back 12 months! 
    They are just monthly status updates of your original default, the original default should be dated pre-bankruptcy, and will stay on file for 6 years.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • patternsandshapes
    Options
    I also have an account with Link Financial, so this is all of interest to me too, thank you for the helpful replies.

My bankruptcy will be coming up to the 12 months end pretty soon and I'm looking at what to do next, specifically checking Credit Reference file clean up. One thing I'm not certain on after reading the sticky thread is when I can do this. Do I need to wait until the 12 month period is fully over before I can start ensuring past creditors have the right status for my accounts, or is this something I can do sooner?

The sticky thread gives a period shorter than 12 months for the example account, so I was a little unsure when I can start this process.
  • Mckenna
    Mckenna Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    I also have an account with Link Financial, so this is all of interest to me too, thank you for the helpful replies.

My bankruptcy will be coming up to the 12 months end pretty soon and I'm looking at what to do next, specifically checking Credit Reference file clean up. One thing I'm not certain on after reading the sticky thread is when I can do this. Do I need to wait until the 12 month period is fully over before I can start ensuring past creditors have the right status for my accounts, or is this something I can do sooner?

The sticky thread gives a period shorter than 12 months for the example account, so I was a little unsure when I can start this process.
    I have been doing mine before the end of the 12 months, because it takes a little while for the communications and then files to be updated.
    and no doubt you’ll encounter some who are difficult to get things done right.

I will say check my file is rather handy, it pulls reports from all 3 credit agencies.
  • Chrome020
    Options
    Is there a time I should give for link financial to get back to me? I put 30 days on the letter.  I sent it signed for delivery and haven't heard anything back from them yet, my credit accounts are still the same on my file.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback