Link Financial

Hello, I've been discussing my credit accounts that Link Financial have for me, I called in relation to my discharge from bankruptcy and asked for information on their data controller to update the accounts on my report.

I was flabbergasted when they told me it stays as default which is correct, but they told me the balance stays until the default runs the 6 year course and they just don't ask for any money... I know that's incorrect for them to say that, has anyone any advice

Replies

• Chrome020Chrome020 Forumite
    12 Posts
    First Post
    https://ico.org.uk/ESDWebPages/Entry/Z2016543
    Is anyone able to confirm if this is the correct Information for them? The ico website lists a few Link Financial companies.
    Also if I send a letter direct to their data controller, how should I proceed? They have 5 accounts for me would I need to do 5 separate letters?
  • edited 14 May at 11:00AM
    sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    25.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 May at 11:00AM
    Any qualifying debt vested in your bankruptcy, on discharge, should show as defaulted, with a default date no later than the date you went bankrupt, it should show as a zero balance, and marked in such a way to show the debt is no longer owed, so settled, or satisfied will suffice.

Link are well aware of the rules, one letter, state the five account numbers, refer them to the guidance, ask them to sort it, or you will escalate to the ICO, who have the power to fine firms that are non compliant with guidance.

They have 8 weeks to put things right.
    Ex Board Guide.
    “A man who pays his bills on time is soon forgotten. - Oscar Wilde"
    “If you owe the bank $100 that’s your problem. If you owe the bank $100 million, that’s the bank’s problem.” -JPMorgan Chase"
    "I don`t trust Bankers, I don`t trust Banks, and I don`t trust you. -Private Frazer"
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
    12 Posts
    First Post
    Any qualifying debt vested in your bankruptcy, on discharge, should show as defaulted, with a default date no later than the date you went bankrupt, it should show as a zero balance, and marked in such a way to show the debt is no longer owed, so settled, or satisfied will suffice.

Link are well aware of the rules, one letter, state the five account numbers, refer them to the guidance, ask them to sort it, or you will escalate to the ICO, who have the power to fine firms that are non compliant with guidance.

They have 8 weeks to put things right.
    Thank you for the detailed reply, I have found a template letter on this forum and on DebtCamel which I will use and send it via recorded delivery.

I was shocked that was the advice from 3 people, call handler then apparently supervisor and manager...

• JonVarnasJonVarnas Forumite
    143 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    That;s why you should never speak to debt collectors on the phone...they're full of crap :)
    12 Posts
    First Post
    JonVarnas said:
    That;s why you should never speak to debt collectors on the phone...they're full of crap :)
    Haha. I definitely won't consider it for the others that haven't updated my file yet.
  • MckennaMckenna Forumite
    36 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Link are absolute rogues, sadly 2 of my accounts are with them. And they have continued to place defaults onto my credit file well beyond my bankruptcy (discharge in 3 months)
    they have said they are entitled to do so until discharge which makes no sense as they will have to remove them all back 12 months! 
  • sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    25.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mckenna said:
    Link are absolute rogues, sadly 2 of my accounts are with them. And they have continued to place defaults onto my credit file well beyond my bankruptcy (discharge in 3 months)
    they have said they are entitled to do so until discharge which makes no sense as they will have to remove them all back 12 months! 
    They are just monthly status updates of your original default, the original default should be dated pre-bankruptcy, and will stay on file for 6 years.
    Ex Board Guide.
    “A man who pays his bills on time is soon forgotten. - Oscar Wilde"
    “If you owe the bank $100 that’s your problem. If you owe the bank $100 million, that’s the bank’s problem.” -JPMorgan Chase"
    "I don`t trust Bankers, I don`t trust Banks, and I don`t trust you. -Private Frazer"
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.