NEW: Got questions about energy? Put them to Gary and Andrew from MSE's Utilities team during our energy-themed 'Ask An Expert' event. Check back here from Tuesday 9 August, 12pm

Inexpensive men's suits in Belfast?

edited 11 May at 11:46AM in N. Ireland
17 replies 265 views
2»

Replies

• JJC1956JJC1956 Forumite
    317 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    JJC1956 said:
    I just had a look online, M & S have 16 suits under £150, if you have an M & S card, you can go into the store and access their online buying system, or just ask a sensible looking assistant to help you. You can also buy online from home and take the suit back if you don’t like it.
    You are obvious a big M&S fan.  I once bought a pair of trousers there which were OK but never really got the hype that seems to surround M&S.    Thanks anyway for your input.  I am resigned to paying a lot more now anyway but will not rule out M&S.
    NO, I am not a great M & S fan but they meet your budget, I don’t have to wear suits very often, so M & S is handy and cheap.
    I use Peter Christian (online) as they are far superior, (in my opinion) with a lot more choice but they don’t do Inexpensive suits.
    If you intend wearing a nice suit on a regular basis, then it is probably worth paying out a bit more, I don’t know Belfast but with your increased budget maybe you can visit a bespoke tailor. 
    317 Posts
    PS a friend of mine is like you, a little bit nervous going into shops to buy something out of his comfort range, so I have agreed to accompany him when he buys a new suit for a wedding in the summer.
    Maybe you could take a friend or family member with you when visiting some Menswear outlets.
  • TickedTicked Forumite
    496 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts
    Forumite
    If you’re willing to get on the train, try ‘Collar and Tie’ in Lisburn, few hundred yards from the railway station. Decent quality, fair price and no hassle, they glance at you then bring out the correct size. I rarely wear suits but have to buy (seems like) pretty often, suspect they shrink while hanging in the wardrobe. Anyway, I wouldn’t go anywhere else for a suit or shirt.
  • Mistral001Mistral001 Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    JJC1956 said:
    PS a friend of mine is like you, a little bit nervous going into shops to buy something out of his comfort range, so I have agreed to accompany him when he buys a new suit for a wedding in the summer.
    Maybe you could take a friend or family member with you when visiting some Menswear outlets.
    Sorry for pigeonholing you as a MS fan BTW.  I have no friends or family I can go with to a shop.  You are definitely less vulnerable to sales person manipulation when you are with someone else.  When I was in the shops in Belfast everybody else looking for a suit had someone with them.     
  • Mistral001Mistral001 Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Ticked said:
    If you’re willing to get on the train, try ‘Collar and Tie’ in Lisburn, few hundred yards from the railway station. Decent quality, fair price and no hassle, they glance at you then bring out the correct size. I rarely wear suits but have to buy (seems like) pretty often, suspect they shrink while hanging in the wardrobe. Anyway, I wouldn’t go anywhere else for a suit or shirt.
    Thanks for that I might give that a try.  It will mean though more than one train journey.
  • guirimanguiriman Forumite
    505 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Ticked said:
    suspect they shrink while hanging in the wardrobe
    Lol, I have also observed this effect! I wear a suit so infrequently that I'm still getting mileage out of a Calvin Klein one I got in TX Maxx 13 years ago to get married in. The trousers are certainly a squeeze and not very comfortable at this point, the next outing will be a job interview on Thursday but since it's via video there's no trousers required!

317 Posts
    guiriman said:
    Ticked said:
    suspect they shrink while hanging in the wardrobe
    Lol, I have also observed this effect! I wear a suit so infrequently that I'm still getting mileage out of a Calvin Klein one I got in TX Maxx 13 years ago to get married in. The trousers are certainly a squeeze and not very comfortable at this point, the next outing will be a job interview on Thursday but since it's via video there's no trousers required!

Suit Jacket, Shirt, Tie and Pyjama Bottoms are all the rage in the Civil Service.