16-17 saver about to expire

CazzarooCazzaroo Forumite
90 Posts
Second Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite
Hi,

My son turns 18 in just over a week and his saver railcard expires.  He uses it 3 times a week, sometimes more.  The 16-25 wouldn't be a saving because of the timings of when he goes to college

Someone suggested getting a season pass, would this work once he's 18?

He finishes for summer at the end of June.

Thank you in advance!
Caz
Treat others how you would like to be treated. 🤞

Replies

• edited 9 May at 8:39AM
    CazzarooCazzaroo Forumite
    90 Posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 9 May at 8:39AM
    I mean getting season pass using the railcard.
    Treat others how you would like to be treated. 🤞
  • onashoestringonashoestring Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

If you buy a Season ticket with a 16-17 Saver discount before it expires, you can continue to use it for up to 4 months after the expiry date. The expiry date and the date that you can use your Season ticket until are shown on the 16-17 Saver. 

Some train companies and/or local authorities offer discount products to support students getting to school and college until the end of the academic year, including customers who are 18. Check with your local train company or local authority if it’s available in your area . 

https://www.16-17saver.co.uk/help/faqs/

• SpendlessSpendless Forumite
    22.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    As above. Buy a season pass using the 16-17 saver for the time needed till he finishes college as doing but that way means it can continue to be used for up to 4 months after 18th.

You need to, purchase it BEFORE he turns 18. You can't do it afterwards on on his birthday. 

I was in this position last year, daughter 18 at the end of March, college until beginning of July and that's what I did.