Not sure if I'm eligible for the 25% discount on council tax

Me and my sibling have bought a property together as joint owners. However, as current plans stands, I'll probably be living at the property on my own (for 6 months or up til about a year) so I'm wondering if I'll be eligible to get the 25% discount on Council Tax. How does it work? What sort of proof does the council require from you to prove it's just you living on your own at the moment?


  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,629 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    When you move into the property just inform the council that you are the sole occupier. 
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    They won’t ask for any proof. You can register online at many councils so just state single person. 

Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards