Tax code

Options
What's the standard tax code for this year - assuming someone working full time, one employment, no benefits. I'm sure there's more variables but those are the only possibilities I can think of.

Relative & I earn similar amounts. I'm 1263L, relative 1265L. I know there's no major difference but I'm wondering why the difference.

I know years & years ago (when we both worked for the same company) we each filled a form out to say we wash our own uniform & our codes got changed. That'd be probably 10 years ago or maybe slightly longer.
I still work for that company but relative since moved around. I don't know whether you need to write off every time you change a job to say you wash your own uniform or what.

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    1257L is the starting point in most cases. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/rates-and-thresholds-for-employers-2022-to-2023

If you and your relative each log in to your personal tax account, you'll be able to see what's gone into your slightly different codes. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,672 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    What's the standard tax code for this year - assuming someone working full time, one employment, no benefits. I'm sure there's more variables but those are the only possibilities I can think of.

Relative & I earn similar amounts. I'm 1263L, relative 1265L. I know there's no major difference but I'm wondering why the difference.

I know years & years ago (when we both worked for the same company) we each filled a form out to say we wash our own uniform & our codes got changed. That'd be probably 10 years ago or maybe slightly longer.
    I still work for that company but relative since moved around. I don't know whether you need to write off every time you change a job to say you wash your own uniform or what.
    Possibly you have overpaid a spot of tax and the codes are allowing for this - could be any number of things: Gift Aid donations, pension contributions, uniform washing...as SS says, have a look at your personal tax account online.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • JustAnotherSaver
    JustAnotherSaver Posts: 6,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    How do you look at your personal tax account? Never even heard of one tbh.

Certainly no gift aid donations. Pension contribs we're both on the same 5%/3% setup although differing employers.
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 2 May 2022 at 9:14AM
    Options
    1263L is 99% likely to be due to a flat rate expenses claim (PA £12,570 + £60 = tax code allowances £12,630 = tax code 1263L)

Uniform washing or the like.

You can look at your Personal Tax Account here.  You can also check your NI history and State Pension forecast (make sure you read the whole thing, not just the headline figure as that can be misleading).

https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure