Constant Loan/Debt Collection Letters To Wrong Address?

Options
focus888
focus888 Posts: 1,483 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Hi All,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I've recently started receiving letters from a loan/debt company for someone I don't know. (Maybe they entered wrong address details I only realised it was a debt company by the return address on back of letter)
I lived at my address for years and this has only just started happening. I keep returning letters to sender but what if it keeps happening. Should I be concerned at all about this please? Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No need to be concerned. 

Either just return to sender, ignore, or call them to tell them that the person no longer lives there and they're to stop sending mail.

May or may not work, but it depends on how much effort you're willing to put in.

Personally, I'd just bin them (probably after having a quick read).
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hi, I agree with zx81. Especially as it isn't your name on the letters. You cannot be held accountable if the company has incorrect details. 
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • username
    username Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 April 2022 at 10:30PM
    Options
    Just write return to sender and put it in the post box when you are next out and about. Ideally with a message that the person does not live here (and never has).

Don't bother phoning or telling them who you are. Phoning is just about the worst, they will probably cite data protection for being unable to do anything or ask you for your life story, and you don't really want to be intertwined into this person's dealings.

The person whose debt it is either stupid, evasive or both.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How wrong is the address ?
    Is it just 1 letter difference ?

• cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 April 2022 at 10:53AM
    Options
    As the return address is on the envelope, just write 'Not Known at this Address, Return to Sender' on the envelope and put it back in the post.
  • focus888
    focus888 Posts: 1,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 April 2022 at 11:29AM
    Options
    Hi all, thanks for the replies. I was just worried that if they didn't get an response from that person bailiffs might turn up or my address gets marked on my credit reports.

Letter had my correct address so either the person gave them my address deliberately to avoid them or the company misheard them. I don't recognise the name at all.

I've received a couple of letters so far and i've sent them all back to sender with note that person doesn't live here and to stop sending letters. Hopefully that was the last of it. Thanks again everyone. 
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    DCFC79 said:

The OP doesn't know the person, so they're unlikely to know how wrong the address is.
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    focus888 said:
    Hi all, thanks for the replies. I was just worried that if they didn't get an response from that person bailiffs might turn up or my address gets marked on my credit reports.

Letter had my correct address so either the person gave them my address deliberately to avoid them or the company misheard them. I don't recognise the name at all.

I've received a couple of letters so far and i've sent them all back to sender with note that person doesn't live here and to stop sending letters. Hopefully that was the last of it. Thanks again everyone. 
    Credit records are linked to the person, not the address so there is no worry on that regard.

In the unlikely circumstance that bailiffs did turn up at your door, it would be easy to get rid of them by proving you're not the person in question.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ergates said:
    DCFC79 said:

The OP doesn't know the person, so they're unlikely to know how wrong the address is.
    It could be something simple like the wrong post code but right house number for example hence the question.

There are several roads in the UK with my house number and same line of address, obviously different post codes.

If OP got a letter to 123 Fake Street AB12 3DE but they lived at 123 Foke Street AB12 3FG and know the postcode is right/wrong or just a letter different, it could be a matter of putting them in the right direction.
  • Jami74
    Jami74 Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    focus888 said:

I had someone turn up at my address once, guessing debt collector rather than bailiffs although I wouldn't know the difference. I opened the door and a big scary looking man wearing black said a name I didn't recognise so I said "No". Then he asked if I knew them and told him no again. I was obviously convincing because he apologised for disturbing me and I wished him luck finding them and he went on his way.

I don't think they go straight from letters to vans and body builders with machete's so it's probably not worth worrying about. Maybe having some ID close on hand (council tax letter/drivers licence) would make you feel more reassured that you could prove you weren't the person they were looking for if anyone ever does turn up to confiscate your TV.
    Debt Free: 01/01/2020
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure