We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

New mortgage, bankrupt in 2019 (discharge 2020)

Hi, I'm looking to get back on the ladder and purchase a home this year (soon as possible really).

I was released from a bankruptcy order in June 2020.

My income is circa 105k pa and I have approx £50k deposit

I assumed my credit history would make getting a new mortgage a little difficult, so I've had an appointment with a local advisor.

They were very helpful, but as with most things, it's always good to know your options.

Fee's were discussed, which amount to around £1k (total).

Has anyone been in a similar position? Are their any online equivalents who also specialise in this market?

Thanks

Skiv

Comments

  • K_S
    K_S Posts: 6,920 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    @skivy71 Afaik I don't think there are any L&C/Habito/Trussle types that will do heavy adverse for free but I might well be wrong. 

    You're absolutely right to be fees conscious but with the kind of rates you're probably looking at, getting the cheapest suitable product is likely to pay a far bigger impact on costs than whether you pay £500/£1,000 on the broker fee.

    I am a Mortgage Adviser - You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. 

    PLEASE DO NOT SEND PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.

  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,077 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    What sort of purchase price are you looking at? 
    I only ask as I think anything above £200k, your deposit is probably going to be a little on the light side. 

    Personally, I think you may need to hold off until 3 years discharge to be able to get a bigger mortgage at a reasonable rate with a reasonable deposit. 

    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.