Munchin’s intentionally living with less diary (Part 2 as part 1 crashed and burned)

Munchin
Munchin Posts: 2,816 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
edited 14 April 2022 at 9:21AM in Debt free diaries

Hi Diaryland,

I disappeared for a bit because life got in the way and in my previous diary (which I only began at the beginning of the year) I had said that my main aim in 2022 was to stop my wasteful spending/frittering and to have both an emergency fund and about £4,000 in a rewire my house fund.  Well I set fire to those goals and I’m back with a ‘new to me’ car and a loan to pay for it.

I also started to do up my living room and ended up also doing up the hall – new flooring, skirting boards, paint, furnishing etc.  So I raided the emergency and the household funds for the housing updates and then jumped from the highest point into a loan for a car.  My old beloved car died… I could have paid an exorbitant amount to fix it (even with my brother doing the work the parts were the expensive bit) or I could have got a small loan and pootled about in a make do for now car.  I didn’t do any of that and bought the car I’ve always wanted but at the cost of a loan at 5.1% interest.  I know I can pay it off but I’m frustrated that I’m 1 step forward in this journey and 10 back.  

I am 50 in just under 2 years and I would love to be debt free again by that point.

My current debt is:

Car £11,000 + 5.1% interest = £12,507  

I want to replenish my emergency fund and have £3,000 in it by the end of the year. The rewire the house fund is going to have to take a back seat until these 2 goals are achieved.  I have 2 months of big birthdays coming up and it is going to be super expensive but I just want to get my head down and throw overpayments at this debt.

I have no excuses to spend money on anything but necessities, but this is me and I’m attracted to shiny quirky things…… I’m here to try and be more accountable.

Thank you all for your support  :)

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,834 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    This is best in the diary section, ask an ambassador to move it for you.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Munchin
    Thanks sourcrates - realised my mistake after I posted it
  • RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,875 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I've just asked the forum team to move it for you. 
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • Munchin
    Thanks RosaBernicia
  • Munchin
    edited 15 April 2022 at 4:38PM

I love a list and I have quite a few plans for tomorrow and Friday, so I thought I would list them here so that I can tick them off and see how productive I have been when it gets to the end of the month/year. 

So, tomorrow and Friday the things I would like to cross off my list are:

• Ok do my day job
    • Check survey sites
    • Declutter and tidy
    • See if I have anything to sell
    • Put the items I don't think will sell into bags for charity
    • Clean house top to bottom for Easter
    • Only planned spending
    That should keep me out of trouble for the next few days.
  • Munchin
    edited 15 April 2022 at 6:23AM
    Morning

So yesterday things didn’t go as well as I had hoped. My Mum was sick and my work was incredibly intense - so I only managed a bit of decluttering but it’s a start. I don’t usually work on a Friday and I’m a morning person so will get started cleaning, tidying and decluttering soon.  I have beauticians appt at 10, another appt at 12 and Good Friday service thing at 3pm - so I will do what I can in between appts.

Life update - so In previous threads i mentioned that I am a slow plodder runner with a dodgy knee. 3 weeks ago I ran/walked a marathon for the first time in about 14 years. I was slow but so happy to finally run without knee giving up and raise charity money. It wiped me out but now feel so positive. Friend has sent me details of a running challenge next year …. Something to look forward to and aim for.

Money update - spent £24 on Groceries y’day but it was all planned. Today should be £25 at the beauticians.

Future goals - I’m already planning on goals for May … will have to give it a think. I will join the NSD challenge and see if there are other ones that would work for me.  First goal - for me to be debt free by my 50th birthday in 20 months I need to find £625 a month…. Yikes 😱…if I stopped frittering I could make some in roads.

my pup is snoring here beside me … don’t think he has any plans today 🐶😊

• Hope today goes better for you
    Jan 18 Joint debts 35,213 - March 24 16.6k
    Mortgage Jan 18- 77224 Dec 23- just under 69k
  • Munchin
    Thanks NeDMP - not too bad a day.

All appointments kept but ended up spending £35 in Tescos which wasn’t planned but also wasn’t frittering.  I had a massive sort of my smellies and bedroom cupboards - I have 2 or 3 of everything such as deodorants, hair mouse etc. At least I have no reason to buy beauty products/smellies for a long time but it was a bit embarrassing.

I nearly have the house ready for Easter and I just have to prepare spare room for sister and her family but will do that tmw.

Hopefully 
  • Munchin
    Afternoon

Back in to work today and not really in the mood for it.  So spending wise it was fine over Easter, lovely to spend time with my family and just potter about.  

Today has been an NSD...finally.  I had mini spends over the Easter break such as picking up the paper for my Mum and paying for parking yesterday.  Nothing major just a spend that rules out an NSD.  Tomorrow should be another NSD but Friday I am meeting a friend and we are going to the cinema and dinner.  I'm at a conference all weekend so hopefully that will be 2 NSDs because it is all paid for.  Wish me luck :)
  • Munchin
    I was away this weekend for a conference and it was genuinely good and I got to spend a night at a nice hotel. So plans for tackling my debt - attempt as many NSDs and keep a record here of all spending.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback