We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Early remortgage advice please

After some re-mortgage advice if possible, please. I trying to see if I will be better off getting a new 5yr deal early and paying the clause as I’m worried interest rates could be much higher than they are now come the end of my current deal.

 

Figures:

House value £450,000, by end of current mortgage deal there will be £220,000 outstanding.

I have some savings, was going to pay an extra £20,000 off come re-mortgage time.

16 months remaining on current mortgage, fixed rate of 1.92%, repayments of £940ish pcm. 

Early buy out clause £4,200.

Have looked on Martin Lewis mortgage tool today and new 5yr deal with Newbury building society of 1.69% for 5yrs @ £818pcm for the remaining £200,000.

 

Can anyone give me their opinions on what I should do please? Sit tight or jump early?

Comments

  • Edi81
    Edi81 Posts: 1,515 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I think that is a discounted rate from a look on their website. It’s not fixed if that’s what you are looking for. 
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.