Do I consolidate

Options
2»

Comments

• kimwp
    kimwp Posts: 1,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm not sure how the numbers work out, would you be willing to share the amount on each credit card with the  payment and corresponding Apr and the loan numbers?
    Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

For free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I don’t think you should consolidate. Can’t you get any 0% deals to move the existing cards? Too late now but perhaps it would be better to forego holidays until the debt is gone. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ThunderHoof
    Options
    I just don't understand the point of consolidating, if the interest rate is the same then you will pay the same amount back if you just paid off the cards over a period of 18 months, and that £800 holiday should really be going to the cards if we are being sensible.
  • stymied
    stymied Posts: 551 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’m confused. How can the same amount of money as all the cards with the same high interest rate as one of the cards paid back over a much shorter period of time equate to the same monthly repayments?

Please do recheck as this doesn’t make sense.

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    rowas02 said:
    Thanks for everyone's comments, judgemental or not. I intend to cancel all credit cards, actually did one yesterday after clearing it, and yes for those skeptical, the repayment time jump is huge but one I can afford due to reducing interest paid by only having 1 outlay, not 4 and still paying out the same amount as I pay out now.
    I'll update you all as it goes
    Just don`t make the classic mistake of thinking you now have much more disposable income to play with, and take out a new line of credit to "treat yourself", then another, and another, and before long you find yourself back in the hole again with unaffordable repayments, you really need to exercise discipline to stop that from happening, because its the path almost all consolidators have dared to tread, and what makes consolidation such a double edged sword.

Some folk go down this route many times in life before they realise what they are doing wrong, I hope this does not describe you, I wish you good luck with it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you have worked out the numbers and budgeted it's up to you.
    The only point I'd make is that reducing the payments into 1 rather than 4 doesn't save money but it can help budget better.
    I'd plan the payment to come out sooner in the month (closer to payday), just be aware of not running out of funds between paydays.
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport