Aviva plc shares

Options
Can anyone explain the latest Aviva share wheeze? They are issuing a class B share that will be converted to cash and paid to the shareholder. At the same time the value of the class A shareholding is being devalued by the amount of the of the class B shares issued. So after this the shareholding will have the same value as it was at the start. What is the point?
Named after my cat, picture coming shortly

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 April 2022 at 12:07PM
    Options
    There's no wheeze. Just a mechanism to allow Aviva to return excess capital back to shareholders in the most cost efficient manner.  The published company circular provided a full explanation. 
  • Ifts
    Ifts Posts: 1,952 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    Never let the perfume of the premium overpower the odour of the risk
  • P1Fanatic
    P1Fanatic Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Interesting as my late mother has 204 Aviva shares which I was looking to sell off then saw this. So from watching that video basically you end up with less shares for the same monetary value but actually own a larger % of the company per share once this is all finalised in May?
  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,358 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    P1Fanatic said:
    Interesting as my late mother has 204 Aviva shares which I was looking to sell off then saw this. So from watching that video basically you end up with less shares for the same monetary value but actually own a larger % of the company per share once this is all finalised in May?
    Following the consolidation you'll own fewer shares but the *share price* will be comparable to the previous day's i.e. it won't drop by the amount of the return of capital, 101.69p, as it would have otherwise. 

On 31/05/22 or thereabouts you'll receive £207.44 (204 * 101.69p) in your brokerage account or by cheque or direct deposit from the registrar, depending on how you hold them.  

You'll own the same proportion of the company. Net net, all other things remaining equal, you won't be any better or worse off.
  • Thrugelmir
    Options
    P1Fanatic said:
    If shareholders own a 100% of the company and all receive the same distribution. How is it possible to own more of the company? 
  • P1Fanatic
    P1Fanatic Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    P1Fanatic said:
    If shareholders own a 100% of the company and all receive the same distribution. How is it possible to own more of the company? 
    Per share. Previously you had 100, post B share scheme you end up with 76.
  • caveat_emptor
    Options
    There's no wheeze. Just a mechanism to allow Aviva to return excess capital back to shareholders in the most cost efficient manner.  The published company circular provided a full explanation. 
     A clever or amusing scheme, I would call that a wheeze
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • Thrugelmir
    edited 13 April 2022 at 2:31PM
    Options
    In the real world there's a due process that needs to be followed to effect the transaction to comply with both law and regulation. Though I do agree that there's many people who invest that have little idea what they are doing. Unfortunately will get caught up in a wheeze at some time during their investing lifetimes. As there's no shortage of people who'll expose the lack of knowledge to their own advantage. Takes two to trade, there's somebody else on the other side of bargain. . 
  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,358 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    B share schemes are nothing new. It's just often a better way than paying it as a dividend e.g., because the company doesn't have the retained earnings to pay such a large dividend or it suits shareholders who don't want to have to class it as income.
  • Baoser
    Baoser Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I currently hold 275 Aviva shares. I'm now going to have to be forced to buy additional shares to round it up to a multiple of 100 or I end up losing 75 shares as there'll be no fractional shares!

Consolidating sucks if you're after the dividend. Whilst the initial value of the shares remain the same, since you'll have less units you'll have a smaller multiplicator.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback