🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Aegon bond 32 buy out

Options
My wife is retiring through ill health. We are currently sorting two db pensions., one deferred, one active. She has a tiny aegon bond 32 buyout, its only worth 3.5 k it has pritected rights and can be taken tax free as i understand. . She also has a sipp. We still pay into this sipp by dd. We probably wont access the sipp.
My question is, will taking the bond 32 buyout trigger the 4k allowance regarding what can be paid in? 

Comments

• mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi there.

I'm not an expert on section 32 - but generally taking money from defined benefit schemes does not trigger the restricted allowance.  ie the Annual Allowance is £40K but after you have triggered the MPAA (Money Purchase AA) it is £4K from the moment you trigger it.  The clue is in the title its only triggered if you take a penny of income from your money scheme scheme (ie SIPP).

If your wife is retiring and not earning then she is limited to her earned income or £3600 (gross) whichever is the larger.  Pension income does not count as earned income for this purpose.  ie if she literally didn't earn anything in the new tax year then her contribution is maxed at £3600 (until she is 75).  Is she earned say £4.5k gross before she left then that would be her limit.    

Trigger words for MPAA are UFPLS and Flexi Access - especially if taking more than 25% - I am pretty sure these do not apply for a 32.
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,985 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    mark55man said:
    Hi there.

I'm not an expert on section 32 - but generally taking money from defined benefit schemes does not trigger the restricted allowance.  ie the Annual Allowance is £40K but after you have triggered the MPAA (Money Purchase AA) it is £4K from the moment you trigger it.  The clue is in the title its only triggered if you take a penny of income from your money scheme scheme (ie SIPP).

Just to clarify - the MPAA is only triggered if you flexibly access your benefits from a defined contribution scheme and take anything in excess of the 25% tax free lump sum. It isn't triggered if you take tax free cash and use the balance to buy an annuity. 

Nor it the MPAA triggered if you access your benefits under the 'small pots' regime, where the whole 'pot' has a value of under £10K at the time you cash in the whole amount.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Kim1965
    Kim1965 Posts: 550 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ok thanks. Its likely her works sick pay will be in excess of 4k for this current tax year and we may pay this into the sipp. 
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,985 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kim1965 said:
    Ok thanks. Its likely her works sick pay will be in excess of 4k for this current tax year and we may pay this into the sipp. 
    Don't forget that you can only pay in 80% of her (gross) sick pay - the provider will automatically claim basic rate tax relief and add it to the pot.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure