SOA and Snowball Calculators at lemonfool.co.uk and stoozing.com

Options
Hello

I have not posted here for ages. I wrote the SOA and Snowball calculators on the websites above. Someone alerted me to a user reporting problems with saving the SOA on Chrome. It is working for me. However, more generally, are the calculators still being widely used here and are there any other issues that need attending to? I'd prefer them without ads but that isn't entirely down to me so that may not change.

All the best
Clariman
Author of the first Stoozing FAQ on the Internet and Creator of the SOA & Snowball calculators at Lemonfool.co.uk

Comments

• Clariman
    Clariman Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It looks like the formatting doesn't work any more. Perhaps I knew that. MSE must have changed its forum software since I last looked in detail at it.
    Author of the first Stoozing FAQ on the Internet and Creator of the SOA & Snowball calculators at Lemonfool.co.uk
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Clariman, yes they are still used and recommended.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,416 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Clariman said:
    Hello

I have not posted here for ages. I wrote the SOA and Snowball calculators on the websites above. Someone alerted me to a user reporting problems with saving the SOA on Chrome. It is working for me. However, more generally, are the calculators still being widely used here and are there any other issues that need attending to? I'd prefer them without ads but that isn't entirely down to me so that may not change.

All the best
    Clariman
    See my signature! I (and others) pretty much still point every new persona that lands on DFW to the SOA calculator - it really is a vital bit of kit. Thank you for creating it! 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Clariman
    Options
    Just doing a little test to see if it would be possible to smarten up the calculator output again. Looks like it is definitely possible but I would need to find the time to recode it for MSE.

Expenses
    Item Amount
    Mortgage £750
    Groceries £500
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I think the snowball calculator needs updating. The payment options are either a fixed amount OR a %. However, my credit card (for example) sets the minimum repayment term as the interest plus 1% of the balance.

Also I'm not sure it could cope with a credit card balance that has a combination of interest rates applicable. Ie, some at 0%, purchases at 17.9% etc (just as an example).
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • kimwp
    kimwp Posts: 1,804 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    They are used so much on here, the SOA is usually the first thing people are directed to and it helps so many understand and get on top of their finances. I think you probably deserve some kind of award for creating it!
    Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

For free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.
  • mcpitman
    mcpitman Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 6 April 2022 at 9:10AM
    Options
    Clariman said:
    Hello

All the best
    Clariman
    Personally, I'd like to thank you for writing them in a manner that makes (or made) them easy to import and use, even for non-experts

They have helped so many people in so many different ways.

Thanks! 
    Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
  • Clariman
    Options
    Thanks for your kind comments. I originally wrote the calculator for the Dealing with Debt board on The Motley Fool website (it no longer has discussion forums and is purely an investing website these days). I was a regular user like everyone else and wanted to help. A CAB advisor who also contributed there told me what an SOA should contain and I developed it. She later went on to set up https://debtcamel.co.uk/ . Although I haven't touched it for years, I am so pleased that it is still being used and helping people.

I have spoken to Stooz who runs Lemonfool with me and we have agreed to remove the Ads from the SOA and Snowball calculators which should make them easier to use. I will also try to find time to see if I can update the code to format in proper tables on MSE. That would also make it much easier.
  • Clariman
    Options
    I think the snowball calculator needs updating. The payment options are either a fixed amount OR a %. However, my credit card (for example) sets the minimum repayment term as the interest plus 1% of the balance.

Also I'm not sure it could cope with a credit card balance that has a combination of interest rates applicable. Ie, some at 0%, purchases at 17.9% etc (just as an example).
    Hi. Can I just confirm you mean the one at Lemonfool, rather than the whatsthecost one?
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Clariman said:

Hi. Can I just confirm you mean the one at Lemonfool, rather than the whatsthecost one?
    No, it's the one on whatsthecost. I can't see the option to have it as 'interest plus 1%', unless I am missing something?
    February wins: Theatre tickets
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure